Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to put some tow hooks on the front end. Ideally two. Ive come up with a few ideas for putting some on but I want to see how other people have done it. Who knows I might find a better idea.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Here's a set of tow hooks made specifically for obs 4x4s. From what i understand these hooks have been discontinued, but they can still be found somehow. But if you have a buddy with some machinery you could always have something similar reproduced.

The owner of the truck goes by the username of Tom S. He is usually over on powerstrokenation.com or powerstrokearmy.com.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What purpose does the little hook that goes into the frame serve?

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
My guess is that the little hook is there mainly for positioning and the square nut is for anchoring. The hook my have to be there because a conventional nut my not have room to fit as the end of the framerail is directly butted up against the bumper.:dunno:

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They look nice and seem like they work well, now to find a pair.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Keep me posted on how your search goes. I may ask Tom for some dimensions and get me a set made. I have a buddy with a water jet who could pop me out a set in no time.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you do get a set made, let me know. If hes willing, I might pay for a pair. At the very least get the dimensions. Im not seeing them anywhere as of right now.

·
Premium Member
23,192 Posts
There is a guy on olderfseries.net built his own and put holes in the bumper to accomodate them, its under suspension and the thread is under a sas he did on an f150

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah I saw those. Well maybe not the same exact ones but very similar style. Im not too fond of cutting my bumper honestly. I was originally going to do something very similar to the ones you found. I have a set of just hooks with eye holes in them. I was just going to get extended bolts and put them thru the shackle bolt. I could get creative but I'm trying to avoid any welding/permanent attachments.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
We do alot of favors for each other so I'm sure he could make me a pretty good sized batch, and even have them powder coated all at his shop.
I'm going to ask Tom about them. And once I get my truck back from the body shop ( by friday) I'll start making some measurements and do some planning.:nod:

And i've seen several people cut up the bumper for tow hooks, but it's not something alot of us would want to do.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Whats it in the shop for? And Well just keep me posted. If it goes thru Id appreciate it. And yeah, I will agree to that. Kind of like a giant family around here. :nod:

And nope not me, it took me a week after I got the visor to get the courage to put it on. Im rather fond of my shiny bumper and dont want holes in it lol

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Whats it in the shop for? And Well just keep me posted. If it goes thru Id appreciate it. And yeah, I will agree to that. Kind of like a giant family around here. :nod:

And nope not me, it took me a week after I got the visor to get the courage to put it on. Im rather fond of my shiny bumper and dont want holes in it lol

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
I'm getting the roof repainted, and small dent pulled out of my passenger rear door. The caulk in my drip rails had cracked so I re-caulked them and there was a spot on my roof where a previous repair was made and the bondo had cracked allowing corrosion to occur. Nothing major, but I just want to stay ahead of the game, and keep the truck from deteriorating.

·
Premium Member
23,192 Posts
That would be cool for the tow hooks, I have this ugly bumper and it didn't have tow hooks on it

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
The ball is already rolling. I have some drawings and plenty of good pictures now. And my guy with the shop looks to be in with me as well. And from the looks of it there should be no drilling required for the install. As the two holes for the tow hooks i posted use existing holes in the frame. I plan on using a bolt in place of that hook/pin in the front hole as well.

·
Premium Member
23,192 Posts
Guess I'm second in line, that is if they will work on a 150 as well, its same body style

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
I'll be keeping everyone in the loop, and once they are ready I'll be sure to hook ya'll up with a set.:nod:

Guess I'm second in line, that is if they will work on a 150 as well, its same body style
The F150/Broncos may not work. Due to some of the trucks having the crumple zone in the frame horns. But there might be a way to make a good set of hooks for those as well.
But the hooks should work for all obs f250s & f350s 4x4s with the stock front shackle setup. And the 2wds look

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
We're all still interested. Just throwing it out there. I never really confirmed I wanted a pair though I suppose.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
I found an original set of tow hooks! I tracked down the manufacturer and they said they still had like 20 pairs left. I ordered a set for $50+ $20 freight. They came in on sunday, so i will be heading back home to pick them up later this week. I'll keep ya'll posted.:thumb:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts