Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to intercool my 1996 F350. I have many questions. Of course I want to do this the cheapest way possible, I was trying to get some guidance on where to get all of the pieces for the puzzle. Any other info or suggestions would be grealtly appreciated.

·
Registered
77 Posts
If you have fabrication skills, and can TIG aluminum, my suggestion is this.

My Build List

6.0L Intercooler-150 at boneyards
3" aluminum intercooler piping-150 at the local ricer speed shop
5 90 deg bends
1 18" long straights
1 3" exhaust turndown
1 2 1/2 exhaust turndown
1 18" 3" exhaust pipe-35 in exhaust pipes
4 Intercooler pipe boots and clamps-60 bucks at ricer speed shop

I took the factory "Y" and cut the top off and fitted the 3" turndown to that. The other end mates to the 3" intercooler piping. I cut the turbo compressor outlet at the biggest spot I could find, and mated that to the 2 1/2" turndown. Then slit the 3" exhaust pipe, and cone shaped it to fit the 2 1/2" turndown, and the other side mates to the intercooler piping.

Then I pieced the intercooler piping together to make everything fit.

The passanger side uses 3 90 deg bends. Out of the intercooler 90 deg bend up, to a spacer, to a 90 bend to the rear, to a spacer, to a 90 deg bend towards the intake "Y".

The drivers side used 2 90 deg bends. Out of the compressor side 3" straight, to a 90 deg bend pointing down, to a 3" spacer, to a 90 deg bend pointing forward into the intercooler. The pipes run right alongside the air filter piping, and between the ac compressor.

I will try to get some pictures up tomorrow of where everything is at. This setup works great. I went all the way to Florida pulling the 40' gooseneck race car trailer with my dads furniture inside to move him down there, and never went above 1200 degrees egt. that was with the chip on the 100 horse setting too!

·
Registered
331 Posts
Intercooler

Do you still have that piping kit and 6.0 IC for the OBS?

·
Registered
42 Posts
can you take the intercooler off a 7.3 sd and put it in the OBS? id like to know before i really start looking for one

·
Registered
90 Posts
can you take the intercooler off a 7.3 sd and put it in the OBS? id like to know before i really start looking for one
Yes you can, but the 6.0 is alittle bigger

1 - 9 of 9 Posts