Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

5921 - 5940 of 5956 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Compatibility inquiry

Forgot the answer to the following question and I cant find the answer that I know Terry has answered me a million times on.

Can a 4wd 94 idi turbo diesel transmission be put behind a 97 powerstroke? I'm talking plug and play then go.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Yes it will work.
Need to add, double check that the idi torque converter is 6 bolt

Reactions: montrese04

·
Registered
49 Posts
Yes it will work.
Need to add, double check that the idi torque converter is 6 bolt
If it's not a 6 bolt converter. Am I able to just purchase a new 6 bolt converter and keep it pushing?

Or does that mean the internals of the trans are not up to par to hold the tq of a powerstroke?

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
solenoid pack should be the same. E4od is a E4od. they where barely up to par behind any stock diesel then when you start making more power it was hit or miss on whether it would hold up. I've burned up a Napa reman behind a hopped up idi 7.3 in less than 500 miles. You can just swap to a 6 bolt converter but iirc all the diesels where 6 bolt converters

Reactions: montrese04

·
Registered
49 Posts
solenoid pack should be the same. E4od is a E4od. they where barely up to par behind any stock diesel then when you start making more power it was hit or miss on whether it would hold up. I've burned up a Napa reman behind a hopped up idi 7.3 in less than 500 miles. You can just swap to a 6 bolt converter but iirc all the diesels where 6 bolt converters
YESSSSSS!! The answer that I was hoping for. I just need it to last long enough to get money up for a built one.

Darn trk been sitting for 3 years b/c I been too stubborn to put the 2wd trans back in after a flywheel broke. I found metal at the bottom of the pan when R&R the flywheel. And I was like yep.....not wasting my time.

4wd and solid axle on the way. If I can stop sinking money into my SVT Contour

·
Registered
13 Posts
Does anyone have any experience with rad/core support listed on PartsGeek.com website? Looking to replace or repair if I have to.
They are showing a pic that looks like it could be. part # 5334-04262245 is to be for my '96 obs with a 7.3ltr. I'd like some others opinions before I pull the trigger. Thanks

·
Registered
13 Posts
No one has been the guinea pig for this partsgeek part??? I'm not the best at welding and need to borrow a welder too.
Been watching my front fenders crack open behind the front wheels, it's time.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Does anyone know off hand if the main shaft and counter shaft in a ZF S5-47 manual transmission is the same for a 2wd and 4wd?
I know I would have to change the tail shaft housing, but I wasn't sure about what internals I would have to change.
Any help would be appreciated, Thanks

·
Super Moderator
12,907 Posts
odometer does not light up ? 1994 superduty
check the fuses for the dash lights. or replace the bulbs, though i'm betting on the fuse if none of the lights work

·
Registered
2 Posts
1997/8 7.3 E350 with custom 4x4

Thinking my project truck a bit more than I expected and not sure where to start. Things changed, time more a premium, and not willing to abandon the build idea.

Body rough, truck seems to run great and new brakes, very high 4x4 suspension which I need to lower to get into my barn...seeking alternatives to that as a starter project. Looks like to run at least 1.5k to do right. Thinking air suspension, as the truck is so high tough to enter for my gf. I'm just a couple inches too high to clear door hardware.

Won't start right now after sitting for a bit. I think new starter and solenoid will do the trick with that.

The truck has a lot of rust - used primarily to haul snow removal equipment for a few months each year. 98k on the motor and well maintained. I bought from the long time maintainer.

Ultimately, I want to have a minimalist camper ready for the trek into the woods and to the track. It will have a 1000 lb capacity rack mounted to strongest hitch possible with 1 or 2 bikes. Already have that. I was hoping to start taking it immediately this summer and work on it and assess while cruising and getting to know it. Behind schedule. Work crazy.

I want all the amenities to be modular and removable yet secure. 4 2'x2'x10in platforms with mounted water, electrical, propane cooking, fridge, and shower. The platforms will lock together and form a track platform for the bike.

I'd love to hear any thoughts comments and advice. Maybe more encouragement. :grin: It looks daunting as I'm no expert mechanic, a barely competent shade tree maintainer of german bikes and cars.

I'll post pictures at some point soon along with the design of my modules. Started thinking plywood but now thinking a wire frame with fiberglass mesh.

Anyway, thanks for welcoming me back into the group after a brief stint lurking etc and when I had an 04 F250 4x4

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey is the 460 five speed tranny the same as the diesel one my truck is a five speed and third gear syncro is goin bad and a buddy has one that was behind a 460 and will cut me a deal on it if it will work

I believe Everything Ford went Corporate like GM years ago. Said in english that means if it was produced after like 1984 and the numbers on the case match then it will work...
That being said just because the case of the tranny will bolt up, don't mean itll be the same gear ratio, you will definitely need to pay attention to length no matter what numbers are on the case due to trans that accept a transfer case or not?

My rule of thumb for transmission transplantation from live donors is make sure you are in a town where no one knows either of you(Vegas) make sure you have plenty of Ice and a new stick of Ruby Red Lips...whoops different type of transplant!
Anyhow measure Measure MEASURE! If the donor vehicle is not the same year make model or has a Puma at the steering wheel be real real real sure everything matches up... a decent Haynes or Powerstroke Hub should have details on gear ratio etc.
Hope this helps and remember if you are tiddly winkin round Vegas, Laughlin, Atlantic City, etc, and she is way outa your league talkin bout how she wants real bad to be real friendly to yer privates and gets offended when you ask how much...call security and tell them you may have appendicitis! Then calmy let them know once your proposed date is no where about that she wanted yer Kidney and was not willing to Financially Compensate you for it! Lifes a beach and ruff *** Kidney scars look none to well at the beach!

·
Registered
10 Posts
odometer does not light up ? 1994 superduty
1997 F250HD Mine don't neither. Has not for years. They sell some badass lil LED lights at the AUTOPARTS store I think they use terms like mood or style but I use them for an actual purpose my dash looks bad *** in Blu with Fluorescent Orange Needles and my Speedo in bright Green...jmho.
Can't remember exactly but when I went into my dash to look at that it's like a light that goes with the Liquid Crystal so you would have to change out the whole display?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello - 1995 7.3. Flatbed. question is - fuel tank selector valve issues. I can only use the front tank. When I try to select the rear tank on the dash switch, it indicates rear tank full (it is). But doesn't use any - only continues to use the front tank. With a bit of research, I'm not convinced previous owner didn't use a gasoline selector valve - large black canister style 6 port. I'd really like to be able to use both tanks and solve the problem. Any pointers? Thank you.

·
Registered
121 Posts
This noob has lots of questions. Answer what you can...anything helps. :

Pulling out the rebuilt zf5 to take it to get warranted. I took it back to the shop. One of the techs drove it. He said he thought the clutch was staying engaged because the shifting was smooth when the truck was off. But that the synchros were probably messed up. He said they would warranty it. I want to fix the issue once they rebuild it. He said it might be the pilot bearing? Is there anything I can diagnose before removing the transmission? After? Any tips on removing the transmission?

Going to probably do the up pipes even though they don’t seem to be leaking. I rebuilt the turbo a while back. I don’t really want to take it out again if I don’t have to. How do I check for leaks? Is it a good time to do efuel when the tranny’s out or can I wait? Can I just do the 45 degree fittings by the upipes for now? There was a little soot on the exhaust adapter next to the turbo and I saw some smoke come out on cold starts. I went to torque it and the bolt broke . I was going to do a new downpipe anyways. TIA

F350 4x4 ‘95 400+k miles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5921 - 5940 of 5956 Posts