Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

5901 - 5920 of 5956 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,907 Posts
And on your way back through LA stop by my place and buy my spare parts. I have brand new projector headlights. MTG2500, hard parts and a brand new degas bottle, IDMs, PCMs.
well why don't you offer them to everyone matt. do you miss your truck yet?

·
BANNED by Kris
6,316 Posts
I really do............you'd be best not knowing what happened to it..........

I have, several times on here and on Addicts

·
Registered
85 Posts
there are a couple nice ones here on the east coast, but that probably is not really helpful

i wouldn't take things with you on the plane. after you buy a truck then go buy the tools you need from LOWES, Home Depot, the local hardware store. and buy a CPS and fuel filter from the dealer, get an extra gallon of oil, and drive it home. Personally I carry lot of parts with me, but i'm in the truck not flying. I have had
more IDMs fail than CPSs.

as for tools i would get a small socket set, some screw drivers, and that's it.
Cool. I'll do that. Thanks.

·
Registered
85 Posts

I'll definitely stop by and buy them. I hope you take cash, and don't like to ship stuff. :laugh2:

I'll PM you my contact info.

Cheers.

·
Super Moderator
12,907 Posts

did it get wrecked?

what PCMs, lights, etc do you have? and how much do you want? you can pm me here or on facebook

·
BANNED by Kris
6,316 Posts
did it get wrecked?

what PCMs, lights, etc do you have? and how much do you want? you can pm me here or on facebook
worse....

I'll take pics this weekend of the parts

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Is the pcm cali or federal

·
Registered
85 Posts
worse....

I'll take pics this weekend of the parts
Hey Big Fuel check your PM’s. I’d like to chat about a few parts. Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hope this isn't the wrong section.

New here, I've reached a point where I need a durable and cheaper entry point truck. I don't plan to do a ton of towing initially but would like to have a truck that if I need to I can tow easily, maybe a car trailer or small boat. I know the Powerstroke has a great rep and fits the durability part easily. I work as a mariner, so the truck may sit in various ports for sometime or could be used to move cross country as I am early in my career. Not really into hot rodding or modding a truck so I don't have plans to run a tuner or anything of that nature. Just a dependable and capable pickup is the goal in mind.

I've found it hard to find anything with lower miles 150- 190k, I'm located in south texas and everything seems to be completely worn out or ran hard with 300k and modded.

I'd like to gain more info and insight from a forum like this, I believe there are some nice OBS out there and when the right one is found I'd be willing to travel aka buying off the forum vs craigslist.

Reading about the 94-98 years and what to look for when purchasing a truck there seems to be a common set of points to follow.
- fuel in the valley
- Blowby test
- Dirt or dust near the turbo, from aftermarket air filters/boxes?
- Mechanical fuel pumps vs aftermarket electric units
- Fuel filter
- Injectors
- HPOP
- regular maintenance
- Tranny manual vs auto

Anyone have info, stories about durability, longevity or things to keep an eye out for when in the market for these trucks? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
12,907 Posts
Hope this isn't the wrong section.

New here, I've reached a point where I need a durable and cheaper entry point truck. I don't plan to do a ton of towing initially but would like to have a truck that if I need to I can tow easily, maybe a car trailer or small boat. I know the Powerstroke has a great rep and fits the durability part easily. I work as a mariner, so the truck may sit in various ports for sometime or could be used to move cross country as I am early in my career. Not really into hot rodding or modding a truck so I don't have plans to run a tuner or anything of that nature. Just a dependable and capable pickup is the goal in mind.

I've found it hard to find anything with lower miles 150- 190k, I'm located in south texas and everything seems to be completely worn out or ran hard with 300k and modded.

I'd like to gain more info and insight from a forum like this, I believe there are some nice OBS out there and when the right one is found I'd be willing to travel aka buying off the forum vs craigslist.

Reading about the 94-98 years and what to look for when purchasing a truck there seems to be a common set of points to follow.
- fuel in the valley
- Blowby test
- Dirt or dust near the turbo, from aftermarket air filters/boxes?
- Mechanical fuel pumps vs aftermarket electric units
- Fuel filter
- Injectors
- HPOP
- regular maintenance
- Tranny manual vs auto

Anyone have info, stories about durability, longevity or things to keep an eye out for when in the market for these trucks? Thanks.
maintenance is more important than mileage. check for oil/fuel leaks, in the valley, and underneath. most are not hard to fix, but be aware. when you look you want to do a cold start to gauge what shape the GP system is in. if you have access to a scanner take one with you so you can run the different tests, including buzz and contribution tests on the injectors. i am a big fan of e fuel. it is something i would do to every PSD, you can buy a kit or make your own. i am a 5 speed guy, but ditch the OEM dual mass flywheel. the autos are hit and miss and if you get an auto put a trans temp gauge on it. speaking of gauges a pyro would be something else to add

·
Registered
85 Posts
I've got a thread going on my new to me 1997 F250. I've got a couple questions I could use some help on.

While the previous owner did a decent job keeping this truck going as we've dug into we realized he often cobbled things together. The fuel system might as well have been a lawn sprinkler system. I bought via diesel orings and riffraff the majority of the bits to fix it. It's been pretty cheap so far. I do need to replace rubber fuel line from the tank etc... I'm just curious I searched on line. I see its pointless to line for a gasser since I run a b20 blend to b100. Can someone suggest who to buy line from. Like I said I bought the small bits around the fuel bowl. Its just the longer stuff...

Also is there any reason to buy the $700 LPOP from dieselsite or will the melling $130 one work. I'll add my mods to my sig here in a minute

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
I've got a thread going on my new to me 1997 F250. I've got a couple questions I could use some help on.

While the previous owner did a decent job keeping this truck going as we've dug into we realized he often cobbled things together. The fuel system might as well have been a lawn sprinkler system. I bought via diesel orings and riffraff the majority of the bits to fix it. It's been pretty cheap so far. I do need to replace rubber fuel line from the tank etc... I'm just curious I searched on line. I see its pointless to line for a gasser since I run a b20 blend to b100. Can someone suggest who to buy line from. Like I said I bought the small bits around the fuel bowl. Its just the longer stuff...

Also is there any reason to buy the $700 LPOP from dieselsite or will the melling $130 one work. I'll add my mods to my sig here in a minute
There shouldn't be any rubber lines under the truck with the exception of the vent and fill hose. Everything underneath should be stainless hard line, plastic hard line, and stainless braided line. If there is rubber under the truck someone added it and in that case I would use quality rubber from Napa. When I can I use marine rubber hose. The melling lpop works just fine.

·
Registered
85 Posts
There shouldn't be any rubber lines under the truck with the exception of the vent and fill hose. Everything underneath should be stainless hard line, plastic hard line, and stainless braided line. If there is rubber under the truck someone added it and in that case I would use quality rubber from Napa. When I can I use marine rubber hose. The melling lpop works just fine.
Thanks. Any vendor you've used for marine rubber hose?

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Thanks. Any vendor you've used for marine rubber hose?
Our Napa here stocks it. Otherwise online. The rubber hose that Napa carries that is rated for fuel injection is also pretty good stuff.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Our Napa here stocks it. Otherwise online. The rubber hose that Napa carries that is rated for fuel injection is also pretty good stuff.
Thank you!

PS- When I just say "thanks" i keep getting caught in the "posts must be more than 10 characters". It makes me laugh. I don't know what to say

·
Registered
4 Posts
new to truck maintenance/upgrades

Hey, y'all. I drive a '97 F250 (second owner, all original truck; just shy of 150K miles). I've driven this truck for a few years and while I know enough to know it's worth its weight in gold, I don't know much more.

Right now I'm most interested in learning about simple upgrades (like adding a programmer) that will improve performance around town and while towing. I primarily use the truck to pull a two-horse gooseneck horse trailer. I find that there's a real barrier to entry for someone with little automotive knowledge to wade through the jargon and sales pitches to really understand what's available and make good choices. My goals for this truck are to keep it as stock as possible while also ensuring it lives forever and takes care of me on the road.

I'd really appreciate any websites or that will help me become better informed before I take the truck to the shop or try to tackle anything myself.

Also, can you point me to a manual (would it be the repair manual?) that would have helpful diagrams? I'd like to replace my headlights and the gasket around the vent windows, but would like a bit more info before tackling those repairs as well.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Take a look at some of the mods in my signature. Not saying you need to do any or all of the mods but it will make your truck a much better tow rig. These are the same mods that I have done on several trucks around here and everyone is very happy with them. The secret to making these trucks last is not abusing them and meticulous maintenance. Google will help with most stuff, there are motor and haynes manuals available.

·
Registered
451 Posts
get a lmc truck manual, they are good for referencing parts and nice schematics....

but get the one 1980-1996.....NOT the 1997 one!

for 20 years i could never find bits for my 1997.....looking in the 1997 truck manual f/LMC..

then this year someone says..hey look in the 1996...WTF? OK, he was right!

but lot's of little replacement parts easy to look up in the LMC catalog....OEM bits that dry up and crack or break etc.
i'm carrying it with me ...and all the other spares...

i'd say get a scan/monitoring tool first and foremost.
know what parameters are, what's worth monitoring,
what is what..........got from there as dude above suggested.....
had a Banks kit myself for years and years, Ottomind and Transcommand did me well for a decade!
since have gone overboard..

i'd say 50% of the stuff i/we do to our trucks doesn't make all that much a difference, but looks better etc.
i went to AC sticks and that made all the difference in the world.

i'm obsessed w/EGT on hills/towing......1300-1500 max for years and years!
now I try to keep below 1300, but she'll run fine up the grades at 1300/65-70mph.

i was monitoring EGT post turbo w/banks kit for years.....1200 max no problem.
then i installed an additional egt probe in the drivers manifold and learned about 300 degree difference.

having said that I ran that drivers side to 1500 on many occasion year after years......

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
i can get a deal on a dually front dana 60 for my 97 f250. i believe i heard you can just swap the ttb knuckle onto the axle and be ok? is this true? help??? thanks!

5901 - 5920 of 5956 Posts