Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, this question's actually directed to my IDI. I figured I'd try the '94-'98 PSD forums as it's more of a body question than an engine, performance, etc. Plus, there's more traffic here than there is in the IDI forums. Anyway......I found my door switch is malfunctioning on my driver's side. When I close the door, the dome light will go out for about 1min., then comes back on. My dimmer switch burned out a while back & I replaced it with a NAPA piece & after checking the dimmer, it's not the culprit. I pulled the driver's door switch out & the light hadn't come back on.

Now, the type of switch I have is the one that's inside the door jamb, not inside the door itself. Like, if you were looking @ the truck from the side, it'd be behind the seat, not near the hinges. It was really hot when I pulled it out. It's like an "L" shape with rubber that covers the button of the switch & it's held in by 1 Phillip's head screw. Do OBS PSDs use the same kind? Can I get these @ NAPA or is this a "dealer only" item. I've never seen one like this. The only ones I've seen are the OBS F-150 style inside the door jamb near the hinges, & the ones inside my NBS PSD inside the door near the latch. Can anyone help? Thanks in advance, sweethearts!:kiss:

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
:bump: I know someone knows about this.....

·
Electrical Ogre
12,276 Posts
The late OBS trucks have the switch by the door hinge. Look around in a wrecking yard at some Ford/Mercury cars, you'll probably find one that will work.

·
Beach Bum
26,652 Posts
Well, this question's actually directed to my IDI. I figured I'd try the '94-'98 PSD forums as it's more of a body question than an engine, performance, etc. Plus, there's more traffic here than there is in the IDI forums. Anyway......I found my door switch is malfunctioning on my driver's side. When I close the door, the dome light will go out for about 1min., then comes back on. My dimmer switch burned out a while back & I replaced it with a NAPA piece & after checking the dimmer, it's not the culprit. I pulled the driver's door switch out & the light hadn't come back on.

Now, the type of switch I have is the one that's inside the door jamb, not inside the door itself. Like, if you were looking @ the truck from the side, it'd be behind the seat, not near the hinges. It was really hot when I pulled it out. It's like an "L" shape with rubber that covers the button of the switch & it's held in by 1 Phillip's head screw. Do OBS PSDs use the same kind? Can I get these @ NAPA or is this a "dealer only" item. I've never seen one like this. The only ones I've seen are the OBS F-150 style inside the door jamb near the hinges, & the ones inside my NBS PSD inside the door near the latch. Can anyone help? Thanks in advance, sweethearts!:kiss:
:ban::ban::ban:

ok the only car that we have is our 1990 honda civic that has the L shaped door light switch. both of our obs trucks have the single black push button next to the hinge on all doors. cept the idi doesnt have rear door light buttons. and the nbs doesnt have any button at all.

check junk yards, auto part stores, ford,...

·
Registered
178 Posts
I know this sounds stupid, but it's worked on damn near every vehicle I've owned. (I don't know why) WD-40 on the latch and voila! problem gone. Worth a try before you start messing with electronic crap

·
Beach Bum
26,652 Posts
I know this sounds stupid, but it's worked on damn near every vehicle I've owned. (I don't know why) WD-40 on the latch and voila! problem gone. Worth a try before you start messing with electronic crap
thats not stupid. wd40 works wonders!. prob the contacts are dirty.

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thats not stupid. wd40 works wonders!. prob the contacts are dirty.
:doh::doh::doh: The latch isn't the problem, it's the switch. The inside of the wiring harness plug port & the outside of the wire itself are fried. I'm looking for where to get the switch.

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
first post from me. junk yard or ford.
I'm gonna hafta look there, Jarrod. I checked out NAPA online, AutoZone online, & Autopartswarehouse.com & nobody lists it. Sometimes I could try a keyword search on some of these sites & a part I'm looking for pops up, but that didn't work & the doorswitches they list are the ones near the hinges. Thanks, man.

BTW: what's up with banning me for asking an IDI question in the '94-'98 section......aren't you an "NBSer" now, you traitor? & you're hanging out in the OBS PSD section??? Who's on the outside looking in now, you butthole bandit?:hehe::hehe::hehe:

·
Beach Bum
26,652 Posts
I'm gonna hafta look there, Jarrod. I checked out NAPA online, AutoZone online, & Autopartswarehouse.com & nobody lists it. Sometimes I could try a keyword search on some of these sites & a part I'm looking for pops up, but that didn't work & the doorswitches they list are the ones near the hinges. Thanks, man.

BTW: what's up with banning me for asking an IDI question in the '94-'98 section......aren't you an "NBSer" now, you traitor? & you're hanging out in the OBS PSD section??? Who's on the outside looking in now, you butthole bandit?:hehe::hehe::hehe:
so ford didnt have any?

you forgot the bold sweetheart word :rofl: i "technalicly" still have a obs. it aint my dd but still own it :wink[3]: needed a newer truck and still have a lot of obs knowledge. :woot::thumb:

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
so ford didnt have any?

you forgot the bold sweetheart word :rofl: i "technalicly" still have a obs. it aint my dd but still own it :wink[3]: needed a newer truck and still have a lot of obs knowledge. :woot::thumb:
All of the Ford websites never catalog any of their parts online. It's like they want you to use the fuel to go down there & buy parts or to go down & find out they don't have the part @ all. There is Colony Ford Trucks in Warwick RI. More than likely they'll have the door switch.......it'll just cost about a billion dollars, y'know?

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I went to NAPA today to buy a looooooooooooooooong list of things I need for my IDI & it turns out they do stock the switch. It's $18........& of course, they had to order it.:doh:

·
Beach Bum
26,652 Posts
All of the Ford websites never catalog any of their parts online. It's like they want you to use the fuel to go down there & buy parts or to go down & find out they don't have the part @ all. There is Colony Ford Trucks in Warwick RI. More than likely they'll have the door switch.......it'll just cost about a billion dollars, y'know?
just wanted to know if ford still made it and price comparison. i generally get the price when im looking around.

Well, I went to NAPA today to buy a looooooooooooooooong list of things I need for my IDI & it turns out they do stock the switch. It's $18........& of course, they had to order it.:doh:
thats great.!

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
just wanted to know if ford still made it and price comparison. i generally get the price when im looking around.
If anything, Ford's price is probably astronomical compared to the corner parts store's price. I'm just happy they can get their hands on it. I really wish parts vendors would catalog all of their parts so it would make life easier when I either order online or am just looking for something that's hard to find & don't have to actually go to the store to find out they can get it.:nod:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts