Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
Thank you for reading my post. I do appreciate the knowledge y'all possess and hope some of that can be passed on in this situation.
I have a 95 7.3. Had overheating issues and ended up changing the fan clutch, thermostat, water pump, finally hoses. The water pump was leaking as was one hose but I am still losing coolant at a rate of rough 2 gal per 200-300 miles of highway driving. I have acloud of white smoke on startup (literally about 1/2 second of heavy white smoke then all good) I suspect this to be fuel by how thick it is and it stays in the air as it floats away and does not dissipate quickly.
Please clue me in to possible causes. If it was a head gasket I would suspect pressurizing the degas bottle and blowing coolant and this only happens if it gets warm. While the truck has never overheated (that is to say gone I to the red) it has gone just pst the L in normal a few times and very quickly stopped the truck when that happened. But i also have no coolant in my oil as I removed the drain plug to see if I had water/coolant sitting at the bottom and DQ nothing but black oil. I have no leaks or drips that I see other than AC condensation.
I am at a loss.

·
Premium Member
4,136 Posts
Possibly the injector cups are in need of replacing.

The factory gauge is a dummy gauge with a lot of room for error. My gauge may show 205F and R and yours may be at L. I'd suggest adding another gauge to see the actual temperature.

It is unlikely a head gasket since we rarely see any issues with them here. The cooling systems on these trucks is overkill so if it's overheating then you have a serious issue.

Overheating and over revving(bad tune) is one way to kill these motors.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I hate to say this but I did put a php tuner on it last fall. It was canned tunes from full force diesel. I hope that did not have anything to do with this.
You think the cups could be leaking that much coolant that quickly? 2-3 gal in 200-300 miles?

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
Any fuel in the coolant? Many times, that is a symptom of failed injector cups. You may need to remove the injectors and pressurize the coolant system to check for leakage into the cups (or elsewhere as well). Cheers!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I could not smell or see any fuel in the degas bottle. Seems like that much coolant loss wouldn't be injector cups but I'm obviously not the expert here lol.

·
Premium Member
4,136 Posts
Only place it can escape is injector cups or failed oil cooler but your oil must be ok. Head gasket is still unlikely.

Unless it's leaking when it gets hot and driving, i'm not sure what else it could be.

·
Registered
1995 Ford F350 Dually
339 Posts
Something to check would be the radiator cap. I have the same year as you and I was losing coolant every time I drove it and my temp gauge would go up to the "m" and sometimes almost to the "a". I happened to check my rad. cap and noticed there are two notches, if you will, when tightening it. I was just getting it to the first notch but after finding the second notch I drove it like a bat out of hell and my temp always just got to the "n" or a little above and it stays there now. This was two weeks ago and I've drove it 300 miles since. Also I haven't had to add any coolant since the fix.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The cap is brand new but not motor craft. I will check that. I'm pretty sure I always crank it more than one click.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also with injector cups can I pull the glow plugs and pressurize the system then find which cyl is leaking. Then change that cup only to verify the fix?

·
Registered
337 Posts
The glow plugs are not in the same location, the injectors need to be removed and cooling system needs to be pressurized and visually inspect for coolant leaking into the cup. It's not a hard job but will take most of a day. Injector cups arent hard to do either, I've done it twice, once on my old 95 and on my 94 just because I was there.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Forgive my ignorance, but don't the glow plugs heat the bores? And is that not where the injectors inject fuel? Seems to me if they cups were leaking I would be able to spot the coolant in the bore via the glow plug hole

·
Registered
337 Posts
I mean it might be possible but since you would be in the same area, it would be easier just to remove the injector, never thought about glow plug removal to view it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's a workaround to be sure. I am just thinking I could pull all 8 glow plugs very quickly and then I can narrow down the issue. Not the best way I know

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well after seeing the amount of blow by and inconsistent oil flow of the j hectors under the valve cover I'm cutting bait on this engine. I am buying a whole wrecked truck from a guy I know with 125k less on the clock, freshly tested injectors, resealed oil cooler and almost no blow by. And ok getting the whole truck sk I can swap over any items I need for my truck too.

any tips on things to check or change while the engine is out? I'm thinking of doing the ebpv delete, new turbo rebuild and 66/88 upgrade, and wither new or resealed down pipes.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts