Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

118761 - 118780 of 118819 Posts

·
Premium Member
439 Posts
Upgrading...I think

Welp jumping ship on everything I own pertaining to my two F Superduty's. Was transferring everything from 96 F Superduty to 91 F Superduty and well that doesn't work unless you plan on cutting firewall out too along with panel below the pillar on drivers side to work with mounting clutch/brake, ECU, plugging wiring harness in and whatever else I missed. So up for sale coming soon is everything between the two trucks from engine to wheels.
Bought a 1986 International S1900 with DT466 (294000 miles) for $750, runs beautifully just transmission is fried they snapped off 3rd gear fork. Possible would put my ZF5 in there which would require a $850 adapter then it might not hold the torque that truck puts out on what it can pll. So going to find another transmission close to the $850 which selling all my F Superduty 7.3 stuff would pay for this. The truck is what they call low frame which is perfect for putting flatbed on, has split rear end, 17 ft bed space after I bob it, and will pull my 40 ft 5th wheel with ease. Last but not least they took the 20 inch rims off and put 22.5's on.
Anyone know what current adapter SAE number is on it, cause I might change transmission to one more better which those suggestions would be appreciated too.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Thanks everyone in response to the oil temp question. I'm around 215F just cruising. I am not stock, 250/100s and an S366. Brand new oil cooler too. The truck has 4.10s and 37s too.

I'm in the process of figuring this one out, 215F seems high without towing or much more than a normal load.

My next step is to get an actual coolant temp reading.

I've got a 6.0 fan and brand new fan clutch (7.3 clutch) laying around. I have heard some good things about the 6.0 fan with good fitment and also some bad of it doesnt fit at all.

I just want to make sure everything is working as it should.

·
Electrical Ogre
12,276 Posts
215 oil temp doesn't seem too far fetched to me. If coolant temperature is ~195 (195 t-stat) you're only talking 20 degrees higher. I've never checked my EOT to see what it actually is.

The only thing I've really heard about the 6.0 fans were that some were shattering and taking out the radiator. Most guys have said it was either the old fan was deteriorated or an aftermarket (Dorman?) fan. Guys with brand new Motorcraft ones haven't seemed to have an issue. Myself, I stuck with the stock OBS fan and bought an electric clutch for a T444E.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I'm 37's with 4.10s as well. Like Bill said doesn't seem too bad, but may want to do a little more research just in case.

To add to Bill's note... I am one of the exploding 6.0 fans (not a fan of exploding 6.0's:grin:) Some of us found that the grenading of the fan was because it was making contact with the shroud. That's what happened to me. I put it in(brand new oem), test drove and exploded 100ft down the road. Found the shroud scrapeage right around the top. There is a post somewhere, I believe in this thread, about where to shave the shroud.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I will say... I've always wondered if those of us with fan-to-shroud contact have a rotting rad core in common.

The driver side on my core is bad.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
I have installed a dozen 6.0 fans into obs trucks. The very first one I did about 6 years ago was on my truck. It was a used one that was given to me. I didn't see any cracks when I checked it but after about 6 months one of the blades had a good size piece come off and poke a hole in the radiator. Since then I will only install new motorcraft ones and haven't had a problem with any of them yet. I do check the clearance between the shroud and fan and adjust if needed. The only one that was a little close for comfort was one that the radiator and core support where pushed back for whatever reason. No issues after moving the core support forward as much as adjustment would allow.

Reactions: BigFuel

·
Registered
49 Posts
Help me brainstorm please

I've decided to purchase t4 style up-pipes (for upgrades down the rd). Use a t4 into a t3 style adapter so I can use an upgraded tp38.

I dont know much about the angle difference from stock obs to t4.

what about pedistal height, angle, is there any type of support bracket the turbo would need?

I was wanting to finish my IC system but realized if I go this way I might be in for more suprises. Like not being able to purchase an off the shelf IC pipe kit.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
12,878 Posts
Help me brainstorm please

I've decided to purchase t4 style up-pipes (for upgrades down the rd). Use a t4 into a t3 style adapter so I can use an upgraded tp38.

I dont know much about the angle difference from stock obs to t4.

what about pedistal height, angle, is there any type of support bracket the turbo would need?

I was wanting to finish my IC system but realized if I go this way I might be in for more suprises. Like not being able to purchase an off the shelf IC pipe kit.

The TP38 is a T4 mount flanged turbo.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Ok so I have a 97 drw cclb e4od (future 4wd plans). bts hpop an intercooler, plans on ordering a caurson stauffer ic pipe kit.
I'm just trying to get my truck on the rd with the most power possible. Only using truck for a mobile mechanic rd service and dd. Not racing, sled pulling or anything serious. I'm a spirited driver in anything I drive. compare me to a kid in a civic, if you need a visual

So 3k to spend

GO!!!!

·
Vendor
12,878 Posts
Ok so I have a 97 drw cclb e4od (future 4wd plans). bts hpop an intercooler, plans on ordering a caurson stauffer ic pipe kit.
I'm just trying to get my truck on the rd with the most power possible. Only using truck for a mobile mechanic rd service and dd. Not racing, sled pulling or anything serious. I'm a spirited driver in anything I drive. compare me to a kid in a civic, if you need a visual

So 3k to spend

GO!!!!

What intercooler are you currently running? The way you worded your question leads to seem that you are already intercooled and have CAC pipes. So why order a new set if you already have a set?

·
Registered
49 Posts
What intercooler are you currently running? The way you worded your question leads to seem that you are already intercooled and have CAC pipes. So why order a new set if you already have a set?
Only purchased a 6.0 intercooler. Nothing has been installed yet as far as IC piping.

Truck is completely stock. Just purchasing things for truck so I can get it on the rd.

Parts I already own:
Intercooler
Bts hpop
E99 spider
Head studs
A-pillar gauges

Currently trans and turbo removed

·
Vendor
12,878 Posts
Only purchased a 6.0 intercooler. Nothing has been installed yet as far as IC piping.

Truck is completely stock. Just purchasing things for truck so I can get it on the rd.

Parts I already own:
Intercooler
Bts hpop
E99 spider
Head studs
A-pillar gauges

Currently trans and turbo removed

Then just get a set of SD CAC pipes. I am pretty certain they line up the same with the 6.0 intercooler ports. I didnt know BTS made a single hpop. But they sold there patent to FullForce for the dual HPOP kit.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Then just get a set of SD CAC pipes. I am pretty certain they line up the same with the 6.0 intercooler ports. I didnt know BTS made a single hpop. But they sold there patent to FullForce for the dual HPOP kit.
Ok so the stock superduty pipes (from a 7.3 sd) are a direct drop and play with my e99 spider and 6.0 intercooler, cool.
Obviously take it I need to put IC in last to help it line up with the pipes.

Also the hpop I have is a dual design.

·
Vendor
12,878 Posts
Ok so the stock superduty pipes (from a 7.3 sd) are a direct drop and play with my e99 spider and 6.0 intercooler, cool.
Obviously take it I need to put IC in last to help it line up with the pipes.

Also the hpop I have is a dual design.

Yes on the CAC pipes.

BTS no longer makes the pump kits. Full Force bought the rights to those setups and we do carry them for those reading this.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
No the stock Superduty cac pipes are not a drop in and go. The cold side (passenger side) pipe is close but should be extended at the intercooler end. The hot side (drivers side) pipe needs about 10* of the large bend removed, turned upside down from stock and the intercooler end of the pipe extended. If you don't remove some of the bent you will never clear the power steering pump pulley. I also suggest you add a tab from the hot pipe to the rear outer ac compressor mounting bolt so it doesn't rub a hole in the pipe on the compressor. And you need to install the intercooler first and align the pipes to it because you are very limited to where to mount the intercooler.

·
Registered
22 Posts

So 3k to spend

GO!!!!

If you’re interested I have a complete hyper max H2e turbo kit (turbo + Pipes and mounting hardware) never installed. from their website it’s good for IIRC 450hp as is. All you’d need is boots/3in intake enums. If you’re interested PM me and we can work out a price/shipping.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Seen people use ones from the exploders. Might just walk through a junkyard and see what you like. Mounting will be a different story. Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

118761 - 118780 of 118819 Posts