Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, new to this forum (I hope you guys are active) I have a 1996 F250 7.3 automatic and i was driving along and hit a nasty bump and continued home. I went home cut the truck off using the key like normal and went to drive it later and boom it won’t turn over. You turn it to run and everything lights up like normal (in park and neutral too) but won’t turn over however you can short out he solenoid and it fires right up and it can still be cut off using the key..help? Anyone?

·
Registered
625 Posts
Look at the ignition switch. (Not the key cylinder)

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Look at the ignition switch. (Not the key cylinder)

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
I don’t think it’s the issue you turn the key to crank the motor over..nothing you can leave it in the run position and short the solenoid and it starts (note it will not start if the key is off it must be in run position) however if you turn the key off while it is running it will turn off like normal

·
Premium Member
4,062 Posts
Have you checked all fuses with a multimeter?

This must have been one of those bumps that you had to pat the dash and say "sorry" after hitting it.

·
Premium Member
4,026 Posts
Does this model year use a start relay in the fuse box? -- I think no, for this year

Check the relay on the fender wit a light for power on the small wire when the key is turned to start
the relay has 2 small wires, one is ground and the other is signal from the key switch
if you get signal, then the relay is bad

also check the fuse #9 in the under hood fuse box

1 - 7 of 7 Posts