Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, heres the deal i think i have a synchro going out in my 5sp, and was wondering if i should just rebuild it or should i look for a used zf5. Or should i find a SD 6sp and swap it out. what is all need to do this swap

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
didnt you sell your obs for a dmax ? why did you make the switch back?

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no i never sold it to get a dmax nor would i. when i sell this truck i will buy either a 6.4 or a 6.7 f450. but now one has any ideas on this topic. about the 6sp swap or rebuilding the zf5

·
Registered
275 Posts
I had a 5 speed in my OBS, and had considered a 6 speed swap when the synchs in it started to go but sold it instead, and I was all psyched when I got the 6 speed in my current SD.
Now driving with it, I like the 5 speed better... it's part of why I'm trying to sell the SD so I can buy another OBS lol.
It's not really a 6 speed, there are only 5 forward driving gears, but there's an added "L" gear below first with a super high ratio like 5.79:1 or something close, really only good for incredibly heavy loads. 1st-5th gear are slightly different ratios than in the 5 speed and I'm not a big fan of em... maybe it's just from being used to the OBS 5 speed, but I don't like it.

So my vote is rebuild it.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
but the obs is basically a 4sp because. 1st is useless in my truck

·
Electrical Ogre
12,276 Posts
but the obs is basically a 4sp because. 1st is useless in my truck
...The six-speed would be the same, as mcantar18c mentioned, the "L" on the 6-speed is a granny gear. All the other ratios 1-OD are similar between the transmissions. If it bothers you that fisrt gear is so useless, toss the 4.10 r/p gears and get 3.55's or something even taller. I have 3.55's and only use first gear when I'm pulling a trailer.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ya i think that is what i should do. less headache

OR alberta7.3 you could just sell me your truck since it has every thing done to it that i want done to mine and i will give you mine so you can have a new project truck :hehe::hehe::hehe::icon_ford: sounds like a fare deal to me
i love your truck by the way i should have won best OBS :doh:

·
Registered
275 Posts
...The six-speed would be the same, as mcantar18c mentioned, the "L" on the 6-speed is a granny gear. All the other ratios 1-OD are similar between the transmissions. If it bothers you that fisrt gear is so useless, toss the 4.10 r/p gears and get 3.55's or something even taller. I have 3.55's and only use first gear when I'm pulling a trailer.
Yeah.. OR... I needed a reason to convince the girl it should be lifted, and showed her the cost of new gears and having them installed vs the cost of bigger tires (and a lift to fit em). So I ended up with a 6" lift a buddy was getting rid of and free 37" military tires :D

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i thought about going that route. but i have a TTB front end:( so i dont want to deal with all the bs of lifting it with out a D60. a D60+lift+tires is no way cheaper than gears. plus i pull a trailer about twice a month, and i dont like to drive with a big lifts on a truck when pulling a trailer

·
Electrical Ogre
12,276 Posts
ya i think that is what i should do. less headache

OR alberta7.3 you could just sell me your truck since it has every thing done to it that i want done to mine and i will give you mine so you can have a new project truck :hehe::hehe::hehe::icon_ford:
I'm actually starting another project rig. The polar opposite of the current one. Low, 2wd, reg cab shortbed 7.3 E4OD with a full frame-off. I'll be doing a thread soon once I have something worth showing :thumb:

EDIT: ...and no, the white one isn't going to any new owner :hehe:
Yeah.. OR... I needed a reason to convince the girl it should be lifted, and showed her the cost of new gears and having them installed vs the cost of bigger tires (and a lift to fit em). So I ended up with a 6" lift a buddy was getting rid of and free 37" military tires :D
:hehe: :hehe: :hehe: :hehe: That's the other way to change the distance-per-turn :thumb:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts