Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys-

Just doing a bit of research and looking for a bit of input- I am wanting to do a few inexpensive upgrades to my diesel that will give me a bit more power and increase fuel efficiency(hopefully) - from what I have read most 7.3 owners suggest starting with a cold air intake system...and the system that is talked about a lot for my 02 F350 7.3 with 109,000 miles is the S&B Filters 75-5062 Cold Air Intake for 1998-2003 Ford Powerstroke 7.3L - and the 4 inch 4MBRP S6200P Turbo Back Single Side Exhaust System upgrade listed on Amazon

Both of these can be purchased on Amazon at fairly reasonable prices and from what I understand can really help to lower EGT's as well as increase power and fuel efficiency. Has anyone used these products on their diesel?? What has been your experience??

Also, I had a loss of boost under a load and discovered that I had a crack on my intercooler boot on the hot side- I live in southern Az where the heat can be unbearable- had it replaced with a new OEM part from ford but was wondering if there is a better quality boot kit that I can get so I can replace my other boots before they fail as they are original....I saw boot kits from Sinister and Riff Raff but wasn't sure if I should take a chance....any input??

Thanks so much

·
Registered
68 Posts
I noticed gains when I upgraded my own exhaust, although I can't say much about the cold air intake. There is another intake that NAPA sells which many people run. I think it's the 6637. Better filtration over stock, but lacks the box that most cold air intakes feature (to isolate engine bay temps).
I'd stick with the OE boots personally.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I noticed gains when I upgraded my own exhaust, although I can't say much about the cold air intake. There is another intake that NAPA sells which many people run. I think it's the 6637. Better filtration over stock, but lacks the box that most cold air intakes feature (to isolate engine bay temps).
I'd stick with the OE boots personally.
Thanks so much for your input!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Hey guys-

Just doing a bit of research and looking for a bit of input- I am wanting to do a few inexpensive upgrades to my diesel that will give me a bit more power and increase fuel efficiency(hopefully) - from what I have read most 7.3 owners suggest starting with a cold air intake system...and the system that is talked about a lot for my 02 F350 7.3 with 109,000 miles is the S&B Filters 75-5062 Cold Air Intake for 1998-2003 Ford Powerstroke 7.3L - and the 4 inch 4MBRP S6200P Turbo Back Single Side Exhaust System upgrade listed on Amazon

Both of these can be purchased on Amazon at fairly reasonable prices and from what I understand can really help to lower EGT's as well as increase power and fuel efficiency. Has anyone used these products on their diesel?? What has been your experience??

Also, I had a loss of boost under a load and discovered that I had a crack on my intercooler boot on the hot side- I live in southern Az where the heat can be unbearable- had it replaced with a new OEM part from ford but was wondering if there is a better quality boot kit that I can get so I can replace my other boots before they fail as they are original....I saw boot kits from Sinister and Riff Raff but wasn't sure if I should take a chance....any input??

Thanks so much
Although the s&B looks pretty under the hood, the Riffraff Donaldson blue 6637 is an inexpensive and effective CAI. Get it with the prefilter sock from Riffraff also. Under-the-temps don't effect the intake temp much at all and won't increase EGT's. I live in phoenix and run it and a 5" straight pipe. I love my setup. Also, if you don't have one already, get the PHP hydra. It will also help fuel mileage. I have lifted truck with 37'' MT's and run my hydra on 140 extreme tune daily driving and see 15 MPG's consistently.

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
A free flowing exhaust is a good thing to do to any Turbo engine, the cold air thing, not as important.

Read about here -> https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/99-03-7-3l-performance-parts/1366663-under-hood-temps.html

That being said,,, years ago I did the Ford AIS filter with both a "fender sleeve" and the "ZooDad Mod" to the radiator support to funnel cold air to it. The 7.3 is a pretty de-tuned system in stock form. The biggest bang for the buck you'll see is with some simple tuning.

Don't waste time or money on trying to make it more efficient. It's old tech and you're never going to make serious improvements on fuel mileage. You won't recoup the expenses in savings.

·
Fire From the Clouds!
1,729 Posts
I have both an S&B intake and 4" MBRP. They do exactly as described, suck in air and blow it out.

With the S&B there is two filter options, oiled and dry. With the oiled filter you can reuse it multiple times by cleaning it and re-oiling it (red filter). If that doesn't interest you, like myself, they make a dry filter (white filter) that is one time use and keep switching it out like a typical filter. If you go with the dry filter I highly recommend getting their filter sock with it as it keeps a lot of dirt out of the filter. There is other options out there that will do the same thing for less, aFe, 6637, etc but I like the cosmetic function of it too, if that matters to you.

The S6200p is their aluminium with muffler. You live in Arizona so salt isn't an issue and it will most likely last a long time if you keep it in Arizona, it will start to rust out immediately if gone through a winter with salt. They also make a T409 steel option which is what the factory exhaust is made of but will brown like the factory exhaust if in contact with salt. The T304 is what I have and its for environments that see nonstop salt but will always stay shiny.

Regardless of what options you choose there will be a noticeable sound difference, you'll hear more air being sucked in when building boost and the truck will sound a lot louder from outside the cab or with the windows open. Most MBRP kits come with a muffler, if you do want more sound MBRP makes a matching muffler delete pipe.

On a stock truck you won't really notice too much of a difference with these mods. It's all about tuning but you need these mods as the absolute basics to do tuning.

For intercooler boots I went with these https://www.ebay.com/itm/7-3L-Late-1999-2003-Performance-Ford-Powerstroke-Intercooler-Boost-Boot-Kit-7-3/272421817897?hash=item3f6d9b0e29:g:5d4AAOSwv0tU58AC:sc:USPSPriority!10308!US!-1 because they match my engine parts and colors. But BD Diesel, Mishimoto, RiffRaff, are all good options, just depends what color and whose sticker you want.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A free flowing exhaust is a good thing to do to any Turbo engine, the cold air thing, not as important.

That being said,,, years ago I did the Ford AIS filter with both a "fender sleeve" and the "ZooDad Mod" to the radiator support to funnel cold air to it. The 7.3 is a pretty de-tuned system in stock form. The biggest bang for the buck you'll see is with some simple tuning.

Don't waste time or money on trying to make it more efficient. It's old tech and you're never going to make serious improvements on fuel mileage. You won't recoup the expenses in savings.
Thanks for the input....the link was very helpful...guess the CAI with the box is not really necessary....unless you have bunches of money- which I don't!!! Thanks again....just trying to make my dinosaur a little more efficient!!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have both an S&B intake and 4" MBRP. They do exactly as described, suck in air and blow it out.

With the S&B there is two filter options, oiled and dry. With the oiled filter you can reuse it multiple times by cleaning it and re-oiling it (red filter). If that doesn't interest you, like myself, they make a dry filter (white filter) that is one time use and keep switching it out like a typical filter. If you go with the dry filter I highly recommend getting their filter sock with it as it keeps a lot of dirt out of the filter. There is other options out there that will do the same thing for less, aFe, 6637, etc but I like the cosmetic function of it too, if that matters to you.

The S6200p is their aluminium with muffler. You live in Arizona so salt isn't an issue and it will most likely last a long time if you keep it in Arizona, it will start to rust out immediately if gone through a winter with salt. They also make a T409 steel option which is what the factory exhaust is made of but will brown like the factory exhaust if in contact with salt. The T304 is what I have and its for environments that see nonstop salt but will always stay shiny.

Regardless of what options you choose there will be a noticeable sound difference, you'll hear more air being sucked in when building boost and the truck will sound a lot louder from outside the cab or with the windows open. Most MBRP kits come with a muffler, if you do want more sound MBRP makes a matching muffler delete pipe.

On a stock truck you won't really notice too much of a difference with these mods. It's all about tuning but you need these mods as the absolute basics to do tuning.

WOW....fabulous informative reply....thanks so much!!

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
do the exhaust first. I have the MBRP 4" turbo back and no cat and no muffler. I have the AFE intake with the oiled filter. Have about 50,000 miles on them.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Pick the exhaust of your choice. They all do the same job. Material it’s made of, muffler, and tip are all matter of choice in how much you wanna spend. Intake wise. Get the Donaldson Blue filter from RiffRaff and a 4” long 4” ID pipe. You can make your intake for $50. Another free mod, is to adjust your wastegate rod on your turbo. From the factory there usually isn’t enough preload on the WG spring. The wastegate blows open under load and bleeds boost pressure off. When I had my stock turbo, my peak boost went from 17 psi to 24 psi. On stock injectors, you won’t have enough fuel to over spin the turbo. So tighten the rod all the way down. Just food for though

·
Premium Member
2,639 Posts
The stock airbox on a 7.3 is undersized, a air intake system with a larger filter is a good idea. The 6637 is a cheap option I have had mine for years and it works fine, the S&B kit is a good option if you want something more fancy.

·
It is What IT is
1,734 Posts
I don't have a 7.3 but my best friend does. If it was my truck:

1. do the 6637
2. get a 4 inch aluminized exhaust. MBRP is a good choice
3. get some tuning (PHP hydra). you will be amazed at how it wakes up your rig.
4. call or PM Corey at cncfab (see previous post). He'll hook you up. Great service!

AND whatever you do, DON'T get anything from Sinister diesel !! (or Thoroughbred Diesel)

·
Premium Member
2,639 Posts
AND whatever you do, DON'T get anything from Sinister diesel !! (or Thoroughbred Diesel)
Put Banks and ATS Diesel on that list also LOL. What is wrong with Thoroughbred? I must have missed that story, I got my South Bend clutch from them a few years back and it got here quick, their shop is only 2 hours away from me.

·
It is What IT is
1,734 Posts
Thoroughbred took me for a $9000 ride a few years back. Bogus set of injectors that I bought from them. They failed almost immediately. Had a shop replace them with Motorcraft ones and I got stuck with the bill. Wouldn't reimburse me or nothing. Best they would do was to send me a new set of o rings and crush washers ($8 a pack from Alliant). Their GM basically told me to F off. Since they don't have a registered agent in AK I got screwed for trying to sue them.

Turns out the injectors had a recall on them for bad snap rings. They knew about it (GM admitted it), still sold me the injectors and then told me to keep them. Thoroughbred told me they sold me the injectors as New ones but they were Alliant remans. The $9K included their sticks and the original labor to have them put in, then the sticks failed one at a time, truck had to be towed a few times. after the third failed injector I had the shop replace the rest of them. Needless to say I got schooled fast (was my first diesel). I do all my work now unless it involves a transmission. After that fiasco they changed a few things on their website....

Banks on the other hand has always treated me good (and my son too). Never dealt with ATS. I stick with the vendors on the org here from now on.

·
Fire From the Clouds!
1,729 Posts
Thoroughbred took me for a $9000 ride a few years back. Bogus set of injectors that I bought from them. They failed almost immediately. Had a shop replace them with Motorcraft ones and I got stuck with the bill. Wouldn't reimburse me or nothing. Best they would do was to send me a new set of o rings and crush washers ($8 a pack from Alliant). Their GM basically told me to F off. Since they don't have a registered agent in AK I got screwed for trying to sue them.

Turns out the injectors had a recall on them for bad snap rings. They knew about it (GM admitted it), still sold me the injectors and then told me to keep them. Thoroughbred told me they sold me the injectors as New ones but they were Alliant remans. The $9K included their sticks and the original labor to have them put in, then the sticks failed one at a time, truck had to be towed a few times. after the third failed injector I had the shop replace the rest of them. Needless to say I got schooled fast (was my first diesel). I do all my work now unless it involves a transmission. After that fiasco they changed a few things on their website....

Banks on the other hand has always treated me good (and my son too). Never dealt with ATS. I stick with the vendors on the org here from now on.
That's why I try to buy as much as possible from Amazon. Most of the time you're still supporting the vendors we all know and love but you have the backing of Amazon to provide free return shipping and instant refunds.

·
Registered
231 Posts
That's why I try to buy as much as possible from Amazon. Most of the time you're still supporting the vendors we all know and love but you have the backing of Amazon to provide free return shipping and instant refunds.
You're correct, however the vendors make less on the sale. Not only do they have to purchase from the manufacturer (let's say 50% of resale) they then have to turn around and pay Amazon as well. When I sell the products my company manufactures directly to my retailers I have 50% margins in most cases. When I sell on Amazon my margins drop to 40%. This is why I try to purchase from merchants I trust instead of going to Amazon.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts