Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1st of all, whats up guys!!! I'm finally back in my house after 7 long months. (House fire). I bought a 5th wheel trailer last week, approximately 12,000 lbs. I put the 5th wheel hitch on last night and picked it up this morning. Problem is, it doesn't pull like i thought it would. My EGT's are steady around 1200, cruising around a flat highway around 70 they are at 1000... it just seems like it's getting way to hot for city driving. I'm looking to go up into the mountains this weekend with it and those EGT temps are really worrying me. I can only imagine how high they'll get climbing passes. Anyone have any thoughts are ideas??
Thanks!
Manuel

·
Registered
31 Posts
Goodness! My 28' RV weighs less, and it's got a 460 under the hood!

Anyway, you're bound to heat up when pulling a healthy load. I'm not sure 1200 is much to worry about unless it is there for a pretty long time, which may cause engine temps to creep up. Just watch to be sure you're coolant and oil remain within their limits. That's all I ever paid attention to when hauling a 9' tall trailer. If it got over 230ish, I'd consider stopping for a brief cool down. 250miles at a time was no trouble. Oh, and transmission temp... Make sure that doesn't go too high. It's even more of a concern than the engine.

·
Registered
601 Posts
is your chip to high for the weight? how much boost is it running?

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have the chip on the lowest setting right now... i've tried it on the heavy and the light tow and no matter what setting the EGT's are high... The highest i saw the boost get today was about 10. You just couldn't give it anymore throtle or the EGT's would climb even more..

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh, sorry, I just finally understood what you were asking.. Maybe my chip is too hot for the weight application... that sucks, cause i had to have a custom chip made because of the injectors.

·
Registered
601 Posts
if your turbo, intake, and exhuast are all good id guess your chip is to hot with the injector combo you are running. dont know too much about the auto but did you try a lower gear to get the rpms up? that should lower EGTs significantly.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thats they thing, when i was coming back last year from the meet in Arizona, even with an empty load and 4 deep in the truck, EGT's would get high and i would downshift and it would bring them way down... so i tried that today thinking that would help, but it didn't really bring them down that much... they were still floating around 1200 and not coming down...

·
Registered
601 Posts
i think you just have a hot running combo then. give it a try just keep a close eye on temps and let it cool off.
and you cant run it without the chip correct?

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Good luck man, would suck to have to get a re-tune...

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No, I can't run it without the chip cause they're single shot.... it sounds like a V8 running on 5 cylinders... LOL

·
Registered
601 Posts
haha sorry to say this but i dont think there is much to do. how much is a re burn?
i dont think i can help but to say good luck.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Do you still have the stock aftercooler on the truck?

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yeah, been meaning to upgrade to a 6.0 intercooler, just haven't yet.

·
Registered
76 Posts
That could be part of your problem , with all your mods..

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
i dont know much about this but maybe it could be a deal with where the probe is for your egt guage?? i mean just a thought or it could be something with your guage just throwing that out there a little food for thought

1 - 15 of 15 Posts