Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I am new to diesels and i just bought a 1997 F-250. It has gauges and a 5 inch pipe that comes out before the rear wheel. Its a 5 speed and It has 190,000 miles. It pours out black smoke when i get on it and picks up pretty good. How can i really tell what modifications this truck has? Will a pipe alone gain alot of power? I want to purchase a programmer but I am not sure what to go with? Any information would be helpful.

·
Premium Member
8,298 Posts
from the sounds of it, you already have a programmer without knowing it. if your truck is POURING out black smoke, it is definately not stock. hard to say what else. possibly injectors if the black smoke is thick and dark. how much boost is your gauge reading when you get on it? i'm sure someone else on here will be able to tell you more. if not, perhaps a local diesel shop can help you out.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
how would i tell if it has a programmer? When i get on it the boost gauge hits 25 to 30 and it sounds like it has a blowoff valve when i let off at high rpms.

·
I have excessive flatulance!!
1,273 Posts
The black smoke tells you that you have a programer on it.. You need to go back to the guy you bought it from and ask him what he all had done to the truck...

·
Registered
882 Posts
yea, i second that, go back and ask the person you bought it from what was done to the truck so that you know.

·
Nuckin' Futz
700 Posts
or it could be chipped...just not a flip chip...you can pull your parking brake pedal off...its three 13mm bolts...pull that off and right there is the back of the computer you can see the prom port and if it has a black cover with writing on on it or you can clearly see that there is nothing in there then its not chipped...but if it has something in there other than that its chipped...i only seen prom chips that are shiney...gold usually so if you see something like that in there you are amped up. the way its running it sounds like its got some hefty tuning either by chip or programming.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have hurd of garret turbos before and it says it on my turbo...? Is that stock or just a remanufactured one or a performance turbo? i bought my truck from a dealership and they dont know anything that was done to the truck.

·
Premium Member
3,578 Posts
Garret is stock and/or aftermarket performance, could be either.
30 psi and thick smoke from a 97 means at least a chip or programmer set pretty high, possibly injectors and turbo and lots of other stuff. Dealers suck, they won’t tell you nothing and if they do there is no way of knowing if it is true. Maybe you can figure out who the original owner was and ask him. What kinda egt temps you seeing?

·
Registered
136 Posts
if you can only get a little puff when you drop the clutch goin into the next gear its stock. i cant get any smoke on accel though.

·
KVFD
4,061 Posts
how would i tell if it has a programmer? When i get on it the boost gauge hits 25 to 30 and it sounds like it has a blowoff valve when i let off at high rpms.
do you know that guy u bought it from? you need to see what the truck really has so we can help ya make it faster!!:icon_ford:

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just cruising my egts sit at about 600 or so. If i get on it it will go to about 800 or 900 and if i stay on it it will reach about 1100 or 1200. Its not just a little puff of smoke coming out.
When i get some pictures taken ill try to post them so you can see what i have. I want it to go faster but then again i don't want to blow it up.

·
Premium Member
3,578 Posts
One thing you need to check is to make sure your egt probe is located before the turbo and not in the down pipe. With that kinda boost and smoke it seems like your egt should go from 300 at idle to about 1400 at wide open throttle in about 10 seconds.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
good luck figuring it out. So far it looks like you got your truck with all the toys already on it! haha lucky!!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ya i kinda wanted to do it all myself. The truck is sick i just wish i knew all about it.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Geting a truck with all the stuff can be nice but it can also be a nightmare depending on if the person hacked it up or did a nice job.

I'd bet 95% chance your turbo is stock. If you push it to 30 psi or more contantly you will be rebuilding it soon. They don't like anything over about 30 psi.

If it smokes that much it sounds like it's got not only a chip or programmer but also injectors. The'94-97 trucks have pretty small injectors so it's hard to get a ton of smoke out of them even with a chip. The exception to that would be if it's a late '96 or '97 cali truck. They had the larger injectors that the early '99 Super Duties have.

·
Premium Member
3,578 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
look on the title or bring it to a title shop they should be able to find out who had the truck

·
Registered
214 Posts
One thing you need to check is to make sure your egt probe is located before the turbo and not in the down pipe. With that kinda boost and smoke it seems like your egt should go from 300 at idle to about 1400 at wide open throttle in about 10 seconds.
they make pyro guages for after the turbo dont they

·
Nuckin' Futz
700 Posts
they make dual gauges that you can set up to read both pre and post turbo on the same gauge...so you'd have two pyros running into one gauge

1 - 20 of 23 Posts