Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
That makes more sense :)

I should have my wife drive while I watch it...I can say that the thermostat gets to 188 and stops while the oil continues to climb until it gets to around the 202 mark, and then it slows and is a bit up and down, That doesn't really coincide with what the coolant does, although the coolant will jump from the 188 temp to the 190 temp and back down. I can't say I've seen over the 206, but then again I can't say I haven't either.

Overall would you say I'm overreacting, or is what should my next step be? I do have a shop I'll be contacting later this week that should have some expertise, but I was getting ready to push a diesel shop with less experience to backflush the HPOP because that was one of the recommendations I read when I was looking at deltas. This is why my wife should keep me off the internet :D
Hey man.... You just bought the truck.... There's some stuff that needs to be looked at /for.....
Does it have a stock (or stock style) fan clutch, are the wires uncut (original condition). Does this truck have any sort of aftermarket oil cooling system, like air to oil or remote mount oil cooler? Did the truck (originally) option with an HD or snow plow package?

Sent from my Redmi Note 9 Pro using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
11,054 Posts
..I can say that the thermostat gets to 188 and stops while the oil continues to climb until it gets to around the 202 mark, and then it slows and is a bit up and down, T
When your motor is up to normal temps the ECT should range between 190*-199* depending on how you are driving. It could be over 200* with higher speeds.

You have a bad tstat all day long....Fix this first. Cheaper and easier.

·
Premium Member
1,708 Posts
You have a Mishimoto radiator waiting to go in?

Sent from my Redmi Note 9 Pro using Tapatalk
Nope, OE Ford.

I've been playing with radiators on my personal side for decades. I've never found an aftermarket radiator that was as good as the factory radiators. They always cheap out in some manner which impacts the cooling.

I've run next to the guys running cooling tests going up Towns Pass while we were going down doing brake fluid boil tests on my professional side. There is no way an aftermarket company can run all the R&D under all the OE manufacturer's conditions. And neither did our company suppling to both OE and aftermarket. The development money isn't there; you have to make aftermarket cheap.

Here is a good story that dovetails with my career.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Im new to the 6.0 world and noticed your VGTs, i have a rebuilt turbo and i cant get the readings over .9% ant any throttle position. am i missing something? yours look so good by comparison, what device/app are you using?

·
Premium Member
2,804 Posts
Im new to the 6.0 world and noticed your VGTs, i have a rebuilt turbo and i cant get the readings over .9% ant any throttle position. am i missing something? yours look so good by comparison, what device/app are you using?
Do you hear you hear turbo spool up when you accelerate? What are you using to read the VGT%? Are you SURE your VGT solenoid is plugged in?

-jokester

·
Registered
13 Posts
The turbo spools but slowly, and doesn't really spool until speed increased parts 25mph and at only full throttle. At wide open boost is 18psi which is stupid low but once it's at coolant temp 195deg and oil temp 180deg it has boost up ro 24psi.

I know these engines are prone to stiction and I have to rebuild the injectors for that reason. Is it possible something else in the turbo is sticking? Or is there a short somewhere causing low boost?

I have replaced the VGT connector due to cracked wiring that was touching and I have a new VGT I'm going to swap in hoping the VGT shorted out or is stuck. I have an SCTx4 tuner that I use to read live data but it seems inaccurate showing 45 EBP at KOEO and 65 EBP while at idle.

·
Compression Ignition Addict
7,445 Posts
Honestly I have not heard of any other issues. The Edge monitors also have trouble with the EBP readings.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have heard of a diagnostic program for a laptop, so you happen to know what it's called? I'd like to use mapping g data for troubleshooting and trend data.

·
Premium Member
2,804 Posts
You're probably talking about either AutoEnginuity or Forscan.

-jokester

Reactions: Hydro and bismic

·
Premium Member
2,804 Posts
Do this: while your truck is running, unplug your VGT solenoid. You should be able to hear a change in your exhaust note. Should change to more of a rumble...like a V8 gasser. If you don't hear that, it's probably a failed/failing VGT solenoid or your turbo needs pulled and cleaned.

-jokester

Reactions: bismic

·
Premium Member
5,496 Posts
That .9 is 90 %, so that is the commanded value to the VGT

The way you describe the turbo sound, the VGT is working. I suggest looking for air leaks on the turbo pipe boots and the air cooler end tanks -- also the plastic CAC pipe on the drivers side will split in the bellows section

You can make a air tester from a $" Fernco and a pvc threaded plug -- attach this to the turbo inlet and set your compressor regulator to 10 psi -- 20 if you are confident with your plumbing rigging

Reactions: bismic

·
Registered
13 Posts
That .9 is 90 %, so that is the commanded value to the VGT

The way you describe the turbo sound, the VGT is working. I suggest looking for air leaks on the turbo pipe boots and the air cooler end tanks -- also the plastic CAC pipe on the drivers side will split in the bellows section

You can make a air tester from a $" Fernco and a pvc threaded plug -- attach this to the turbo inlet and set your compressor regulator to 10 psi -- 20 if you are confident with your plumbing rigging
No plastic here, all sinister diesel when I bought it. Needs new hot pipe boots which just came in today.

·
Registered
13 Posts
You're probably talking about either AutoEnginuity or Forscan.

-jokester
Big price difference between the two, $50 for one and $350 for the other. I wonder what the difference will be, ill do some research before I pick one but at first glance the $50 one looks to be a monitoring program that can make changes vice the other seems to be a in-depth data logger and diagnostic which is what I'm looking for. Hopefully the $50 lower does the same thing.

·
Compression Ignition Addict
7,445 Posts
Forscan on a laptop is a better deal than AutoEnginuity. From what I hear, it will do all the AE will do (disclaimer - I have never used AE).

·
Premium Member
5,496 Posts
Big price difference between the two, $50 for one and $350 for the other. I wonder what the difference will be, ill do some research before I pick one but at first glance the $50 one looks to be a monitoring program that can make changes vice the other seems to be a in-depth data logger and diagnostic which is what I'm looking for. Hopefully the $50 lower does the same thing.
Neither one of those prices or "first glance" are correct

ForScan for PC is free, while the lite version for tablet or phone is $4.99
you do need a "connector" to the diagnostic port - ODB
there is the OBDLink USB cable ($49.95), but the Bluetooth setup is more versatile
BAFX ($21.99) or ODBLink MX+ ($99.95) adapters are recommended

Auto Engininuity Ford bundle is $399.95 and comes with a cable hook up only

Both are in-depth data loggers and diagnostic tools -- there are a few subtle differences
ForScan is only for the Ford products while AE will work for many vehicle manufactures, with the add on modules
So, if you are running a garage where you work on several manufactures vehicles, AE would be the choice but for the Ford only guy, ForScan

21 - 38 of 38 Posts