Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody. I just installed a boost gauge and am curious if things are normal or slow on spoolup. Seems kinda slow. The truck is a bit of a dog below 2000rpm. When it hits 2000rpm it starts to pull nicely.

It will build a couple pounds right away, 5-6psi by 1700rpm, 9-10psi by 2000rpm and it climbs from 10 to 19 psi all the way to 3000rpm. Very progressive with the rpm's. Nothing like a gasser where it will just start spooling fast and before you know it the boost shoots up. Kinda acts like a centrifical supercharger where you get X amount of boost with Y RPM's.

The turbo is fresh rebuilt and I have all new intercooler hoses and t-clamps. It's an all aluminum intercooler also. Im not saying a boost leak isn't possible, just more unlikely. EBPV Deleted, Banks wastegate actuator (set at 15psi to open). Everything else is 100% bone stock Late 99 Powerstroke. It's a 6 speed Truck. No chips, no tuner.

Thoughts? Thanks!

·
Registered
935 Posts
If you are hitting 19 psi, then you are good. stock trucks have a lot of turbo lag and takes time to spool up. sounds normal to me. Get guages and a ts chip, it'll make your truck come alive and turbo lag will be virtually eliminated. I do not think these trucks really build power till approx 1800-2000 rpm anyway.

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts
Sounds about right. I've had my turbo swapped out for awhile so I MIGHT not quite remember right, but that is pretty much what I remember, especially if it's on a stock tune. (Sounds like it is.) A good tune will help light the turbo off faster and get it moving.
-Aaron

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm assuming I could probably get more boost if I tightened the wastegate up a bit... I need to get an EGT Gauge so I can see how it's doing in stock form. Then maybe I'll see about a chip.

Thanks guys!

-Brian

·
Registered
935 Posts
I think you are at max boost for a stock truck, so you will not gain anything by tightening the actuator arm. You can sure try and see if you gain anything though. You won't hurt anything. I made mine locked closed when i had my stock turbo.
You will probably want a better filter as well, either AIS or 6637.
I think guage(s) chip, and intake will keep you happy for some time. Then you can do some of the cheap or free mods if you want.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts