Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I admit I'm clueless... With that out of the way :grin:

I was thinking of asking Santa for a remote start for Christmas... I live in central Ohio and it can get really cold (single digit below 0F or colder) at times here in the winter months. My truck is too tall to fit in the garage and I also have no block heater... There are times when I might want to fire it up and let it at least start to warm before I head out to work at 0-dark-30. Added bonus for the summer when I get the AC kicked in as I walk out of work at the end of the day.

Anyway, if I were to install a remote start (I do not know what kind of remote start options are out there.) I'm worried in advance about cold weather and how or IF any of them somehow know that the Glow Plugs need to warm up for however long before they kick in and crank the engine... I sent a e-mail to one company and I think they assumed that I knew a lot more than I do and the answer they gave kinda left more questions than answers...

I bought the truck just this summer and I've never seen the Glow Plug light go for more than a second or maybe two when the truck was stone cold so far. I just do not want to do anything to break anything.

I'm sorry in advance if this is ask and answered 1,000 times.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You sure you don’t have a block heater. I thought it was mandatory in northern states. Also I would put in a winter diesel adaptive. Optic lube has a good one.
I bought it used, so I'm not sure what market it was built for. Nope, No block heater. I keep reading that I don't really need it even here in Ohio... I am about to find out I think.

I've been educating myself on the fuel additives. That is at least one thing I've learned here already.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When I was looking - it seemed that all the Ford options come with a separate fob. The one from 12volt uses your existing fob.

I’m trying the weigh the advertising of 1,000 ft range for the Ford solution against having to carry a separate fob to the 12volt solution that only needs your existing fob. But is limited to its range (which in my case seems to be nothing like 500 ft much less 1,000.

With the Ford supplied option you seem also to get positive feedback and that the motor started - which could be handy in my case. Humph.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.