Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I admit I'm clueless... With that out of the way :grin:

I was thinking of asking Santa for a remote start for Christmas... I live in central Ohio and it can get really cold (single digit below 0F or colder) at times here in the winter months. My truck is too tall to fit in the garage and I also have no block heater... There are times when I might want to fire it up and let it at least start to warm before I head out to work at 0-dark-30. Added bonus for the summer when I get the AC kicked in as I walk out of work at the end of the day.

Anyway, if I were to install a remote start (I do not know what kind of remote start options are out there.) I'm worried in advance about cold weather and how or IF any of them somehow know that the Glow Plugs need to warm up for however long before they kick in and crank the engine... I sent a e-mail to one company and I think they assumed that I knew a lot more than I do and the answer they gave kinda left more questions than answers...

I bought the truck just this summer and I've never seen the Glow Plug light go for more than a second or maybe two when the truck was stone cold so far. I just do not want to do anything to break anything.

I'm sorry in advance if this is ask and answered 1,000 times.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
You sure you don’t have a block heater. I thought it was mandatory in northern states. Also I would put in a winter diesel adaptive. Opti lube has a good one or use opti lube xdp year round

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You sure you don’t have a block heater. I thought it was mandatory in northern states. Also I would put in a winter diesel adaptive. Optic lube has a good one.
I bought it used, so I'm not sure what market it was built for. Nope, No block heater. I keep reading that I don't really need it even here in Ohio... I am about to find out I think.

I've been educating myself on the fuel additives. That is at least one thing I've learned here already.

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
Remote start is an option from ford so you should be able to have them add it. When I ordered my truck it was $250 option, so adding it should be similar. It will crank when it’s ready. I had aftermarket remote start in my last truck in cold weather. The glow plugs stay on for 90+ seconds so in my last truck i just set the the delay to 15 seconds. The aftermarket ones have variable delay programs. They won’t know then your truck is “ready” but a 15 second or more delay will ensure it is. With the 6.7 I’m sure a 10 second delay be fine

·
Registered
28 Posts
I am looking at the Ford OEM remote start for my 2018 F350 (Ford part # JS7Z-19A361-A) and an aftermarket option from 12volt solutions. From what I understand both are just a new cable harness which connects to the back of the ODBII connector and the wait to start functionality is preserved with both. Though you do need the "Hood Ajar" feature. Pop your hood with the key in the on position. If you see the "Hood Ajar" warning message on the cluster you are good.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I was wondering about this option too. Silly question, but does the kit come with new key fobs? My Truck (XLT) only has the lock and unlock buttons on it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When I was looking - it seemed that all the Ford options come with a separate fob. The one from 12volt uses your existing fob.

I’m trying the weigh the advertising of 1,000 ft range for the Ford solution against having to carry a separate fob to the 12volt solution that only needs your existing fob. But is limited to its range (which in my case seems to be nothing like 500 ft much less 1,000.

With the Ford supplied option you seem also to get positive feedback and that the motor started - which could be handy in my case. Humph.

·
Premium Member
11,854 Posts
I'm not sure it does ya'll any good, but my factory remote start will start my truck from my office. The trucks only 75' or so away, but it's doing it through about 4 interior walls and an exterior stucco wall.

·
6.2 Convert
1,383 Posts
Check out the Ford part # in post #5 from Kevin. It uses your existing XLT fob so that’s pretty convenient but it’s limited to the same range as unlocking your door. And it requires dealer activation with IDS unless your a Forscan whiz. Under $200 from ANWBL!

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
12voltsolutions.com

They can run it out to 35 mins of run time. Unlike Ford 5,10,15

Plug and play, takes 15 mins to install and uses factory fob

·
Premium Member
11,854 Posts
I don't have remote start on my key fob but can use the Ford Pass app on my phone to start my truck remotely.
Did you buy the truck like that or did you have it put on afterwards? I've asked two different dealers and they both looked at me like I was crazy. They didn't know squat about how to activate it. A call to the FordPass help line was no help either. They gave me the name of several dealers that could install it, but the closest was 300 miles away. There are probably 10 Ford dealers within 60 miles of me, but evidently none are qualified to plug in a module.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Ford pass active start from the phone app is new to the super duty line up for 2019. That’s why I ordered a new one instead of buying a 2018. There are after market remote kits that will work with a phone app, but they start somewhere in the 800$ range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.