Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I know I’ll catch some grief here so I apologize in advance. I just can’t take the rushing, whooshing, whistle air sound out my exhaust any longer. I don’t mind it at all while driving but just idling it’s too annoying for me to take any longer. I’d prefer to have the diesel grumble and not the whistle. So my question is would a resonator or muffler work better? Or both? I’ve seen guys claim they helped reduce the whistle and I’ve seen others say it didn’t effect the whistle at all so I’m not sure which to believe. I also know the resonator is mostly for reducing drone, but wondered if it really knocks out whistle too. I know the only real way to eliminate it is go non-vgt but I’ve heard the turbo doesn’t spool quick and they’re pretty spendy. Any help with reducing the whistle would be appreciated.

thanks guys

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
Hey everyone. I know I’ll catch some grief here so I apologize in advance. I just can’t take the rushing, whooshing, whistle air sound out my exhaust any longer. I don’t mind it at all while driving but just idling it’s too annoying for me to take any longer. I’d prefer to have the diesel grumble and not the whistle. So my question is would a resonator or muffler work better? Or both? I’ve seen guys claim they helped reduce the whistle and I’ve seen others say it didn’t effect the whistle at all so I’m not sure which to believe. I also know the resonator is mostly for reducing drone, but wondered if it really knocks out whistle too. I know the only real way to eliminate it is go non-vgt but I’ve heard the turbo doesn’t spool quick and they’re pretty spendy. Any help with reducing the whistle would be appreciated.

thanks guys
What turbo do you have? Stock? What year?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,591 Posts
Generally speaking the catalytic converter on the 6.0l will reduce the whistle but just the cat and no muffler gives you the old v8 engine sound that I think you want. I experimented with combinations of straight pipe, just a cat and no muffler and just a muffler with no cat. A resonator is more to fix the drone while towing/cruising with a straight pipe. in a way its like a muffler for only certain sounds etc. Not what I think you're looking for though.

full straight pipe is whistle and the v8 engine sound
cat with no muffler is very limited whistle but still v8 sound
muffler with no cat was kind of in the middle but just a little more whistle/v8 engine sound.

I feel if you just want to eliminate the whistle through the cat on and leave the muffler out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awesome! Great info thank you. For what it’s worth I have a 2005 all stock crew cab. And yea the main goal is having good diesel groan with limited jet engine sound at idle. Again don’t mind it too much while driving but idling it’s just too much.

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
Awesome! Great info thank you. For what it’s worth I have a 2005 all stock crew cab. And yea the main goal is having good diesel groan with limited jet engine sound at idle. Again don’t mind it too much while driving but idling it’s just too much.
Be glad you don't have an 03/10 blade... i believe you could have a tune written to position the turbo vanes so that you get the sound you want at idle. It might cause some slight lag taking off though.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts