Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Is it even worth it???
9,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had the idea for this message floating around in my head for several days, and I think I finally have it thought out well enough to post it.

There has been a lot of discussion on here about certain non-mechanical power adders, and I felt that there should be some discussion of what they do, how they work, and the dangers that may be involved with them.

First: Water or Water/Methanol injection.
This is probably the oldest power adder in this discussion. It has been around for at least 30 years, and has been used by diesel tractor pullers in some very extreme engine set-ups.
Methanol is an alcohol derived during the refinement of crude oil.
How it works.
Water, or a water/methanol mixture is injected into the air stream as some point before the combustion chamber.
What it does.
The water or water/methanol mixture lowers the charge (intake) air temperature. This has a domino effect that also lowers the exhaust gas temperature (EGT).
Dangers.
Water alone is fairly safe, care must be taken however that too much water does not inter the combustion chamber creating a hydraulic situation. Methanol has several dangers. First methanol is flammable therefore any leak could result in a fire. Second, methanol under certain temperature and pressure situations will explode if the proper stoichiometric ratio of methanol to oxygen is present. Third, methanol is a toxic substance that can cause blindness if ingested and can severely damage mucus membrane by dehydrating them.

Second: Propane.
Propane is chemical compound derived during the refinement of crude oil.
How it works.
Propane is added to the air stream at some point before the combustion chamber.
What it does.
Propane serves two purposes. First it is flammable and has been used as a fuel in internal combustion engines. Second propane functions as a catalyst that allows for a more complete combustion process between diesel fuel and air.
Dangers.
To be stored in a liquid state propane must be pressurized. With any pressurized container there is always the danger of the container rupturing and the dangers that go along with a rapidly escaping gas. Also, like methanol propane is flammable, and a leak could result in a fire.

Finally: Nitrous Oxide.
Nitrous oxide (NO2) is a chemical compound comprised of one Nitrogen molecule bonded to two Oxygen molecules.
How it works.
Nitrous oxide is added to the air stream at some point before the combustion chamber.
What it does.
Here is where there is a common misconception. Many people believe that nitrous oxide breaks down during the combustion process and provides extra free oxygen molecules. This is not true. Nitrous oxide is an oxidizer. It functions in the same way that pure oxygen would, only not as efficiently.
A short explanation: Combustion requires three things, a fuel, fire or a spark, and oxygen. For optimum results all combustion processes would use pure oxygen, however this is not feasible. Air does contain oxygen, but in small percentages, thereby reducing airs efficiency in the combustion process. Nitrous oxide functions as oxygen would, but not as well as pure oxygen, therefore nitrous oxide is better than air, but not as good as pure oxygen.​
Dangers.
Nitrous oxide, like propane is stored in pressurized containers. It is also used in medical applications as an anesthetic, therefore there are some dangers inherent to that.

This is by no means an attempt to dissuade anyone from using any of these power adders. It is simply an attempt to open some discussion about them, and to educate those who wish to know more about the benefits, risks and dangers of them.

I cannot speak for drag racing; however, I can tell you that in a high majority of cases, the only one of these power adders that a person would be allowed to use in pulling contests is pure water injection.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts