Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I am driving, I get an odd whirring kind of noise, like an old propeller airplane in the distance. I can hear it well with the windows up, and going downhill.
I jacked up each wheel, not really any play. No pulling when I turn.

Any idea what this could be?

·
Premium Member
4,444 Posts
Does the noise cease when turning in one direction or the other?
Jack it up in the front and spin the wheels by hand. Depressing the brake calipers with a pry bar may help the wheels spin more freely.
Is there more noise from one side? If so, the hub is probably worn.
Is it 4wd?

·
Premium Member
2,623 Posts
Could be a bad u joint.

·
Fire From the Clouds!
1,723 Posts
Is the noise faint or is it loud? I once had a really faint noise that would wind down as I slowed down. Thought for sure it was my front end, turned out to be my gears in the rear axle were chewing themselves apart. Something to consider if you can't find anything in the front.

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
U-joints will be a squeak squeak. Does it vary with speed? Like @kaya said, load up one side to see if it gets louder. Can be a bit dangerous, so do it on a clear road. Get up to the speed where you hear the noise. Steer left or right to load a side. If turning left, weight transfer will be on rf. If it gets louder steering left, it points to the rf wheel bearing, and vice versa.

Of course it could also be something like your pinion bearing. Check for radial play at the yoke. I won’t make this suggestion, but you can read between the lines. An old trick back in the days, when you wanted to trade in a car with a noisy rear end, was to put some sawdust in it. Made it nice and quiet.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
At first I thought it was wheel bearings.
I did the swerve tests and couldn't tell any difference in the sound.
So I jacked up each of the wheels and turned and shook each one. Nothing.
Now I think I'm going to be sad its not the wheel bearings.

So it sounds like a whiring at lower speeds almost like an old ww2 airplane in the distance. As speed increases to 55mph plus, it sounds more like a whine.

It might be more prevalent going downhill with the foot off the pedal.

The main U joint (just forward of the back axle?) has just recently been replaced. It was vibrating quite a bit.
Could that have caused other bearings or parts in the drivetrain to fail?

looking on internet I'm getting
- Carrier bearings
- Pinion bearings
- gears

Thanks for your help

·
Premium Member
8,298 Posts
Could this also be described as sounding like you're driving on the rumble strips?

Here's an easy test, manually lock both your front hubs in (you don't have to be in 4WD, you just want the ft. axles spinning with the tires). See if that noise goes away entirely.

If so, this is your needle bearings in the hub that supports the stub axle when you're in 2WD and an easy cheap fix.

·
Premium Member
2,623 Posts
Are the hubs unlocked? If it's making the noise with the hubs unlocked that rules out any thing in the differential since none other that will be turning if you have the hubs unlocked.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Front hubs unlocked.

I dont fully understand how the drivetrain is all connected, so im not totally following. But i will try the lock/unlock test later aft work.

Also, not allowed to use phone at work, but know that im reading all of you guys posts.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts