Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trying to track down a noise I keep hearing when I turn left. It sounds like the front driveline turning. It only does it under throttle. It starts when I turn past about 1/4 on the wheel.:confused:

I've already pulled the hubs and checked them out (even though I don't have much a clue what could go wrong with them to cause this).

My next thought is either steering pump or gearbox making noise. (I sure hope not, b/c I know that nobody just gives those away...and either looks like a pain to install.):doh:

This one has me seriously stumped.

·
Premium Starfish Member
2,118 Posts
When you say you've pulled the hubs - can you elaborate a little?
Did you jack up the front end and push on the top of the tire(s) to see if there was any 'wobble' before pulling them?
If there's any play - then the hub likely needs to be replaced.
Another item could be the ball joints and Tie-Rod ends.

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
i had a similar noise.
i had bad ball joints and tie rods.
but im pretty sure the noise was caused by the bad tie rod.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I checked the wheel bearings, tie rod ends and ball joints. Nothing I could find bad.

The lockouts (hubs) on these trucks can be pulled by removing the big wire snap ring in the groove on the front of the assembly. Mine check out, they operate just fine.

I also checked the power steering fluid, as I do occasionally. It's where it should be and not burnt.

I'm chalking this one up to a random *** noise. It doesn't seem to be hurting anything, just kind of annoying.

·
Premium Starfish Member
2,118 Posts
What about the Shocks and other bushings?
Looking at mine, I'm noticing that a lot of the rubber is starting to decay badly.
i'm looking at redoing all the bushings (body and suspension) next year.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Most likely the U-joints on the axles . . . yes, even when not engaged they will make your steering wacky. Alot of times when turning the bearing will torque just enough to grab the splines of the axles and they will spin a little. If bad they will make noise. Try either greasing the joints if they are greaseable or soak them with wd40 and try driving engaging the lockouts and disengaging.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll give 'em a check tomorrow. I spun them by hand earlier and they didn't feel bad or make noise, but I suppose there could be a rough spot in one that doesn't get hit until it's turned.

Probably ain't any bushings in the front suspension. It has new front leaves (whole packs) and new shocks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts