Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 97 -7.3 -auto trans.When truck is idleling it make a harsh noise like something grinding.In reverse the noise goes away.In drive the noise is not as bad but it is still there.Runs, fine Shifts fine.Just the irritating noise.Any suggestions?

·
Registered
13 Posts
HELLO I HAVE A 2000 F350 AND I HAD A NOISE SOMETHING LIKE THAT SENT IT TO THE SHOP AND IT TURNED OUT TO BE THE FLYWHEEL $167.00 BUT I WENT AHEAD AND INSTALLED A BILLIT T/C WHY I HAD IT APART $367.00 TOTAL JOB WAS $999.45 GOOD LUCK .

·
Registered
92 Posts
my early 99 has a bad raddeling in it every one here said it was the torque converter. they were right put a t/c switch on it you can flip the switch lock the converter no more noise. had a buddy to have a early 99 2wd bought with 100k sold it the other day with 250k same noise from day one never touched the tranny. so i say drive it till it breakes i know if i install a converter ill bedoing it all over again when the tranny dies a few months later my luck you know.:dunno:

·
Registered
17 Posts
So, is it a torque converter problem or a flywheel problem that makes the noise?

I have a 1990 with 330k that makes the same rattleing noise at idle as my 1999 SD
with 170k on it. Frustrating to have people complain about the noise wne at a stop. Goes away on both trucks once I stat moving under load

1 - 4 of 4 Posts