Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I'm decently new to this forum, id appreciate any help I can get.

I have a 2000 F250 SD 7.3L, Ext Cab Short Bed. bought it used about 5 months ago with 248k. I've got just about 260k on it now.

Long story short passenger needle bearing went got the rubble strip rumble, two days of not driving it later replaced the hub and seal/bearing that goes right before it.

A hour later I noticed differential fluid on the ground, that weekend bought:
1 Hub (for driver side)
1 Axle Seal/Bearing (Outer for driver side)
2 Inner Axle seal/bearing
2 dust covers for axle's on outside of axle shaft
A whole bunch of diff fluid, some grease (green in color, made for high temp/movement)
2 Warn hubs (vacuum went to ****, deleted it all together, now my heat and AC work on all settings, not just defroster)
I greased the U joints and other grease points as well (tie rods), they were in perfect condition. Axles had no carvings or large gashes.

I went through the entire process of removing the wheels, calipers, rotors, hubs, all the old seals and removed the carrier assembly (watching not to screw up the shims) and removing the inner seals (without damaging the plastic cups on the inside)

Then re installed the entire damn thing. That was fun. Once done everything worked great, except I got this weird "grinding and squeaking" noise randomly. Nothing particular sets it off or stops it. Stopping or going it sometimes does it (8/10 stopping) turning it may start or stop, driving straight it may start. Bumps don't matter. Only can really hear it at low speeds, sounds like a caliper was frozen shut and the pad was rubbing almost.

Went and the next day bought new brake pads, installed them. Realized the caliper was leaking fluid out of the seal, bought two brand new calipers. compressed and installed them, bled the system.

Still got the noise, noticed the back of the rotors were wearing improperly (oversight on my part), went out and bought two brand new rotors the next day.

I still have this noise, and its driving me nuts. I replaced everything, literally everything on the front end (Inner/outer/dust/axle seals Wheel Hubs Pads Calipers Rotors Fluid greased up and Locking Hubs) the only side note I can think of IS when we installed the warn hubs the directions were confusing whether they required the locking snap ring at the end of the stub shaft or not. Passenger DOES NOT have washers or snap ring installed (fell apart) and creates no noise, driver DOES have washers and snap ring installed and is extremely tight to put snap ring on.

I read from what I could find i needed the snap ring, but that's the only difference between the driver and passenger side

ANY info at all I will give it my best shot. I plan on tearing down the driver side tomorrow to inspect it all.

·
Registered
674 Posts
are the caliper pins frozen in the caliper bracket? that will cause some squeaking at times and also cause un even brake wear. and it's a very common problem on these trucks for the pins to seize in the bracket

edit:
I also had a strange squeak coming from the front of my truck randomly once. it was from my front drive shaft where it went into the axle. something would make a loud squeak at 1 particular part of the rotation. and the front drive shaft would randomly spin just a little bit if I was making a tight turn and the hubs would grab/spin the axle just enough to turn the front drive shaft 1/4 of a turn or so in 2wd

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey thanks for the reply. I did grease the pins when I got the new calipers and my old ones were completely frozen. What was it that you found fixed the issue you had in your *edit*? Was it something loose or frozen that turned your drive shaft?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Feel like an idiot

Looks like I installed my outer seal (axle shaft dust seal) backwards, it sticks out from the axle tube about an 1/8" or so, versus the passenger side seems to be recessed an 1/8" so it only rubs when the U joint from the long side of the axle pulls and rubs against it :doh:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts