Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, just noticed yesterday when fixing one of my traction bars that when I shut my truck off there is a whining / electronic type noise that comes on and slowly fades. There is also a slight ticking sound that is off and on. Last oil change was about 4k miles ago so its different then the oil change tick I hear about. I have searched the forums so sorry if there is a worn out thread somewhere. When trying to find where it is coming from it sounds like dead center just cannot pin point it.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Hey guys, just noticed yesterday when fixing one of my traction bars that when I shut my truck off there is a whining / electronic type noise that comes on and slowly fades. There is also a slight ticking sound that is off and on. Last oil change was about 4k miles ago so its different then the oil change tick I hear about. I have searched the forums so sorry if there is a worn out thread somewhere. When trying to find where it is coming from it sounds like dead center just cannot pin point it.
DEF system, the pump has a purge feature to clear the lines when it shuts down. It makes some weird noises, similar to what your describing.

NM your deleted. Hmm, Im outta suggestions then!

Come to think of it, that might still be what it is, I think when you delete and tune it only disables the CELs so the codes wont get thrown. It might still try and cycle the pump for diagnostics and such. Id look at that area closely first to check for the sounds!

Reactions: CM250

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DEF system, the pump has a purge feature to clear the lines when it shuts down. It makes some weird noises, similar to what your describing.

NM your deleted. Hmm, Im outta suggestions then!

Come to think of it, that might still be what it is, I think when you delete and tune it only disables the CELs so the codes wont get thrown. It might still try and cycle the pump for diagnostics and such. Id look at that area closely first to check for the sounds!
I was wondering if it could have something to do with DEF even though I deleted it. I never heardthem before even when it wasn't deleted, but I probably just never noticed. I will look at it tomorrow if I get a chance and start there.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Yah it sounds like what your describing, the pumps mounted in the top of the tank, if you can reach up there Im sure you can feel it vibrate.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
367 Posts
I always here a noise from the top of the engine more toward the passenger side after a shut down. I think its the little actuator mounted on top of the right side of the engine.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Thats all your egr system. Probably something there closing. Theres little doors and stuff in there

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 6 of 6 Posts