Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok my 08 has 10,000 miles on it and now it's making the tapping sound and at full throttle the egt's get up to 1250 and the turbo's stop spinning like it's on a limiter. this is before the truck gets up to 60 mph.:dunno: Has anyone else had this problem? The only thing that I have done that I thought started the problem is in a regen I shut the truck off :doh: not thinking about it. oppps on me now this is my problem.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Shutting down once during a regen shouldn't cause this. I have had to do that a couple of times in the past.

My dealer mentioned they have had a few trucks in with DPF failures so its a possibility.

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
I agree, shutting down is not a problem. Regen will continue on the next run as needed. I've done it with no problems, and hardly notice that I'm in regen if it wasn't for the the drop in mpg' while on the highway or the high idling while in park. Hope you get it figured out.:bump:

·
Registered
17 Posts
my INSIGHT tells me that my EGT's,while regening at a stop are around 750. That is way above the " suggested safe 375-400 " required for shutdown. Is this an issue...or am I being anal?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Now my truck on regen at a stop last time was 900 - 1000. While driving my egt's were hitting 1250 - 1300. Whitch reminds me of the first time my truck went into regen I was sitting at a QT. And it got so hot I couldn't sit in the truck. Maybe mine has been f'ed since I bought it

·
Registered
27 Posts
Ok my 08 has 10,000 miles on it and now it's making the tapping sound and at full throttle the egt's get up to 1250 and the turbo's stop spinning like it's on a limiter. this is before the truck gets up to 60 mph.:dunno: Has anyone else had this problem? The only thing that I have done that I thought started the problem is in a regen I shut the truck off :doh: not thinking about it. oppps on me now this is my problem.
Just a thought but have you checked all of you intercooler boots? Is your acceleration normal or sluggish?

Jasin

·
Registered
17 Posts
At a standstill..in neutral..foot off the brake...you will get about a 1300 rpm idle and extremely hot exhaust. When moving..without an egt..you may never know it's happening. When pulling a lot of weight..your boost goes down..and you feel a lack of power..but you can still keep on going. Driving around town, empty...you will never know.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just a thought but have you checked all of you intercooler boots? Is your acceleration normal or sluggish?

Jasin
Sorry it took me a long time to find my post. The truck from a stop feels like I'm pulling a trailer. The egt's get up quick and them the turbos stop. It feels like it's about to just shut off and then I let off. I was only doing this to listen for noise and there it was. The sound is funny like air thumping. hard to expalin or imitate to others. the thumping gets louder when at full throttle. and is constant at idol. Also the sound seems to be coming from the left side of motor looking under hood. I think I gots a turbo taking a crap. :doh:

·
Registered
203 Posts
I would take it to the dealer. It sounds like you exhaust gate is broken and staying open. It sounds like this is the same sound you get when you shut the truck off while it is in regen.
I have shut my truck off several times while it was in regen and havent had a problem.

·
Registered
372 Posts
So were you able to find out what is wrong?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hey guys just wondering, I had heard from friend that there was a recal on the 08 6.4's because of the filter getting so hot it was catching fire. Does anyone know if this is true?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ok so lastnight I take my intake off and put the stock box back on and there is a lot of oil in the intake boot. Sounds like a turbo seal to me. So I take it in this morning and I tell them the truck isn't running correctly and that there is oil in the intake boot. They call me 4 hours later say your truck is ready there is nothing wrong with this truck. Oil in the intake is normal for most of the 6.4's not to worry. I ask what they did he said they plugged it into the computer and it showed everything is perfect. So now I got to drive the crap out of it to get the check engine lite to come on. The truck will still fall on its face at full throttle.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
update took truck to a dealership were I know the tech. This time when I dropped it off the intercooler was leaking and it was knocking. Should find out what went wrong soon. On a side note. I still love this truck and not going to bash it because of some issuse like I have seen from some people on here talking about they should have bought a chevy or dodge.

·
Let's Run'em
17,845 Posts
update took truck to a dealership were I know the tech. This time when I dropped it off the intercooler was leaking and it was knocking. Should find out what went wrong soon. On a side note. I still love this truck and not going to bash it because of some issuse like I have seen from some people on here talking about they should have bought a chevy or dodge.
Intercooler was leaking? What was it leaking, there should be nothing in there, but maybe some oil, which is normal......the knocking might have anything to do with the rocker arms to one of the connecting rods not having the correct oil holes for proper oiling......as far as the problem with regen and the turbo being limited that all points to a clogged DPF.....either way get the truck to the dealership ASAP :nod:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts