Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Truck just wont start. Ive never had a problem with my truck until last Thursday when I was going to leave my buddies house and all the truck does is crank. All the fuses are good, so its not a fuel heater problem and I dont think its the cps because the tach works when it cranks. I used 2 different computer scanners and one said no codes and the other said error. The only thing I did do to the truck is put a tw chip on it 2 days before and it has never been a problem and its the first thing I removed to try to start it up. I dont think the pcm is fried because the wait to start light comes on still but is there any other way to test. Any help is appreciated because I have had no truck since Thursday night and now my truck is on my trailer it the backyard. I was wondering if it could be a the park safety switch but Im unsure were its at and how to check if its bad.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
no it spins over fine I got the battery charger on it now cause it cranks a little weak. And i dont think its a glow plug problem cause it has always started fine and I can hear the relay working. Also I think its getting a little fuel cause it will spudder one in blue moon but am unsure why.

·
Premium Member
9,392 Posts
ok i dont think its a glow plug issue either, have you checked fuel pressure , if the wait to start light is coming on ,i dont think its the pcm, few and far between to have a bad computer ,even not spinning fast enough can cause a no start , so make sure batteries are charged good before trying again

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the fast response I will check the fuel pressure in morning, isnt suppose to be around 60 and if its low then I guess its a fuel pump problem.

·
Premium Member
9,392 Posts
on that model it should build to aound 45 to crank, being it is a manual pump it takes a few spins to build up, it does take a minimum of 45 to start , start there , if you have good fuel pressure , the wait to start light s coming on, the tach moves when spinning and the batteries are charged fully , you best get it scanned and see what codes if any are comng up, and always , donbt just buy parts on a whim, always diag first

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i know about diagnose the problem had auto classes in high school im just new to the powerstroke and am unsure of what goes wrong on these motors. last truck was a 12v p pump cummins never had problem with fuel there and made lots smoke to bad I totaled:doh:

·
Premium Member
9,392 Posts
good deal, i see people all the time spend a grand throwing parts at something and then finally decide to get it looked at, just to find a 20.00 part would have fixed there problem f they would have had it checked to start with:doh:

·
Registered
469 Posts
I had a not start problem that was intermittent and it turned out to be batteries. Yeah the engine would spin over real good but no start.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
its got 45 to 50 psi of fuel pressure now what?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Well I had the high pressure oil pump blow an O ring on mine right after the first of the year. Man I couldn't figure it out to save my life. I was running down the road and the truck just quit. I don't remember a code coming up but I had it towed to the shop and they found it right off. Said it was fairly common. Might try that.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
fixed the truck it was a bad connection between the pcm and the plug.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Good deal. I was about to mention some stuff to check. but thats good. Tighen that bolt up real good. LOL

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I dont know why I didnt check there first:doh: o well, thanks for all the help

1 - 17 of 17 Posts