Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
Seemed to have fixed my low icp pressure issue but its still not starting.
Oil bowl fills, fuel bowl fills. Tried two known good batteries.
Here is a video, PLEASE help! I dont know where to go from here.
FICM was checked with MM while cranking, never dropped below 48.

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
Looks like ipr at 85% are u sure the oil is primed?

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks like ipr at 85% are u sure the oil is primed?

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk
ipr is 85 when cranking as soon as it tries to start it drops. Is there any way to check if oil is primed?
I removed the little screws on top of the oil rail and turned over until no more bubbles.
When I did the HPOP seals the IPR screen was perfect, still resealed and replaced the screen.

·
Compression Ignition Addict
6,660 Posts
Is your FICM logic voltage really 2. something volts? Your Main voltage way low also (12. something volts)? Hard to see in the video, but that is what stands out to me ...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is your FICM logic voltage really 2. something volts? Your Main voltage way low also (12. something volts)? Hard to see in the video, but that is what stands out to me ...
Ficm is 48v measured off the pin
On my hptuners it says logic is 2-3v but on sct it says 11-12.

·
6,660 Posts
In one of your other posts you were advised to get a better scan tool. Seriously, what help is it to post bad data?

Get ForScan and read the codes. Otherwise I'll just guess that its a bad FICM ....

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
In one of your other posts you were advised to get a better scan tool. Seriously, what help is it to post bad data?

Get ForScan and read the codes. Otherwise I'll just guess that its a bad FICM ....
Hptuners seems to work great for everything but ficm logic. Im assuming sct is reading logic correctly.

Is there anywhere locally I can pick up an adapter for forscan?

·
Premium Member
4,459 Posts
Here ya go

Reactions: jokester00

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello,
Seemed to have fixed my low icp pressure issue but its still not starting.
Oil bowl fills, fuel bowl fills. Tried two known good batteries.
Here is a video, PLEASE help! I dont know where to go from here.
FICM was checked with MM while cranking, never dropped below 48.
From experience with good battery, good ficm , good oil pressure and Icp at 85 check your IPR valve. Tried everything under the sun and once we replaced the valve she started right up. Once the screens off the valve it’s just a matter of time.

·
6,660 Posts
if you can believe the data from that hptuner, I would think that a "0" ICP volts might be a clue.........

I wonder if disconnecting the ICP sensor has even been tried.

·
Premium Member
2,401 Posts
if you can believe the data from that hptuner, I would think that a "0" ICP volts might be a clue.........

I wonder if disconnecting the ICP sensor has even been tried.
That's what stood out to me as well! Unplug the ICP sensor and retry.

-jokester

Reactions: bismic

·
Registered
3 Posts
Agreed but if I remember correctly 85 is circuit open which would read 0. Check the sensor and pigtail for good measure but the fact that it’s 85 on crank indicates the sensor is working somewhat. I chased this rabbit down the same hole and at the bottom was a bad ipr valve. Here’s the video on YouTube from DieselTechRon that will shed some light on it either way.

·
6,660 Posts
Agreed but if I remember correctly 85 is circuit open which would read 0. Check the sensor and pigtail for good measure but the fact that it’s 85 on crank indicates the sensor is working somewhat. I chased this rabbit down the same hole and at the bottom was a bad ipr valve. Here’s the video on YouTube from DieselTechRon that will shed some light on it either way.
You do not understand the system.

The ICP sensor is designed to read around a quarter of a volt at 0 gauge pressure. That way if it reads 0 volts, then the sensor is bad or there is a wiring issue.

As far as 85% goes, that is the IPR % duty cycle (not circuit open - nothing to do with voltage or amps), this means that the PCM is commanding the IPR valve completely closed because the desired ICP pressure is not being met.

The IPR % duty cycle is a command only. It has nothing to do with an actual valve position. The IPR valve has no positioner on it, so we have no way of knowing what it is actually doing.

There very well may be a leak in the high pressure oil system (or a bad pump, or a bad IPR valve), but 0 volts on the sensor is not right.

Oh, and a FICM isn't proven to be good sim,ply by MPower and LPower values. There is more to it than that.

·
6,660 Posts
ScangaugeII is good to read engine parameters, so that is helpful...the data should be accurate. That said, the Scangauge is terrible at reading codes. That is why ForScan has been recommended, it does both. You keep taking a different route than what is recommended and it just makes troubleshooting more complicated. It is what it is .....

As stated above, if the ICP voltage is really 0 (and that isn't a mistake from the hptuner), then you have an issue with that sensor, or in its wiring (which is common for the 03 engine, but not so much for your 05).

So, with the ScangaugeII, post the cranking values for the following (during the no-start):
FICM sync
Cam/Crank sync (and yes, you can have FICM sync without cam/crank sync)
Engine rpm
ICP volts
ICP pressure
ICP desired pressure
IPR % duty cycle
Fuel Pulse Width
FICM MPower
FICM LPower
FICM VPower
V-reference voltage

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
ScangaugeII is good to read engine parameters, so that is helpful...the data should be accurate. That said, the Scangauge is terrible at reading codes. That is why ForScan has been recommended, it does both. You keep taking a different route than what is recommended and it just makes troubleshooting more complicated. It is what it is .....

As stated above, if the ICP voltage is really 0 (and that isn't a mistake from the hptuner), then you have an issue with that sensor, or in its wiring (which is common for the 03 engine, but not so much for your 05).

So, with the ScangaugeII, post the cranking values for the following (during the no-start):
FICM sync
Cam/Crank sync (and yes, you can have FICM sync without cam/crank sync)
Engine rpm
ICP volts
ICP pressure
ICP desired pressure
IPR % duty cycle
Fuel Pulse Width
FICM MPower
FICM LPower
FICM VPower
V-reference voltage
FICM sync 1
Cam/Crank sync 1
Engine rpm 140-160
ICP volts .14 KEY ON .8-1.0 Cranking
ICP pressure 1000-1200 when it fires
ICP desired pressure: matching pressure
IPR % duty cycle MAX/85
Fuel Pulse Width 2ms
FICM MPower 48 doesnt drop
FICM LPower 11-12
FICM VPower 11-12
V-reference voltage 12

Once truck tries to start ICP pressure seems to match desired but with IPR maxed out.
Also, after trying to start it, ICP pressure comes up instantly, truck tries to fire and cuts off right away.

·
Premium Member
4,459 Posts
if icp desired is even slightly higher than actual, the ipr% will goto max (85)
you have a leak or bad pump

with that said, your numbers look like the engine should start, but may have a - no start hot issue
you only need more than 500 psi to fire the injectors -- you have that much
the rest of the readings are good

fuel pressure has been checked?
have you checked for bubbles in the fuel bowl when cranking?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
if icp desired is even slightly higher than actual, the ipr% will goto max (85)
you have a leak or bad pump

with that said, your numbers look like the engine should start, but may have a - no start hot issue
you only need more than 500 psi to fire the injectors -- you have that much
the rest of the readings are good

fuel pressure has been checked?
have you checked for bubbles in the fuel bowl when cranking?
I have done the bubble test, the truck hasnt started since I found the issue. Little background, went out to start the truck, started up fine, idled for 20 seconds and shut off. Using a scan tool I found out there was a HPOP leak(psi not reaching 500). Did standpipes dummys, stc, top injector seals and nipple cup seals. Now we are seeing adequate ICP pressure but no start.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts