Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title states got my truck back from the transmission shop and today they truck would do nothing when I turn the key... But when I take a screw driver and jump the solenoid on the fender it fires right up... Would be the starter or the solenoid on the starter?

Sent from my iPhone using AG Free

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That I forgot to try... Wouldn't that be the issue if my indicator was a little off? It's perfectly in the middle of the P

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Or could it be something to do with the dang mechanics that put my tranny in!?

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
The selector switch on the trans is out of adjustment... even if the indicator on the dash is where it is supost to be.

·
Premium Member
8,476 Posts
Your NSSW (Neutral Safety SW) isn't part of the indicator. It's actually On the trans so, one has little to do with the other if they're out of "sync". This is something the tranny shop should be responsible for though! Take it back and have them adjust it properly for you.

You may have to put the selector in R or D if N doesn't work but, the first thing I would try it to hold it up Past Park (or really, on either side)

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah last night I tried holding in every gear to start the thing and nothing. Not even a click bit the second I touch the solenoid on the fender it fires right. If its something to do with the linkage and safety switch I want to have a good argument to prove that's whats wrong to the tranny mechanic. The funny thing is the day the shop had my truck done I got a call saying my stater or solenoid is going out...

·
Premium Member
8,476 Posts
When you say "touch the solenoid", you mean "jump" - right?

Because if you're just tapping the solenoid to jar it, and it starts, then I'd say "no" it's Not the NSSW. BUT if you mean jump then I'd still go back to the tranny shop (how did they start it? What did they think was wrong?). Maybe the NSSW got disconnected altogether..

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah sorry I should have clarified. I Take a screw driver and jump the solenoid and that's how they said they started it. They tried saying my solenoid on my starter must be going bad which is ironic cuz it work fine before I dropped the truck off

·
Registered
11,152 Posts
By jumping that solenoid you are proving that the starter and starter solenoid are working. That is basically a solenoid for the starter solenoid.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok so I took the truck to the tranny shop the adjust what needed to be and also swapped out the safety switch. Still no start. My next question would be if the solenoid on the fender is bad or the starter... My first assumption is there's and issue between the ignition and the solenoid on the fender... What could I do next?

·
Registered
11,152 Posts
If your starter didn't work, could you start it at all? No.
It could be that solenoid.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry for the dumb question and yes your right about the starter

·
Registered
11,152 Posts
I'm not being rude, just clear :hehe:
That solenoid is a solenoid to the starter solenoid with is one to the starter. Obviously the last two are working.
Have someone turn the key to starting position and hold it. Go the solenoid. See if you are even getting 12V from the ignition to the solenoid. If you are then it's probably that solenoid.

·
Super Moderator
12,908 Posts
replace he solenoid they fail time to time

1 - 15 of 15 Posts