Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading through a lot of "no start" threads, but I wanted an opinion on my situation. I also wanted to see if anyone in my area has a scanner.

Last Friday, I started my truck and it had an extremely rough idle for 5 seconds and then died. I haven't been able to restart it since. There is no smoke coming out of the exhaust. My filter bowl is refilling itself when I checked. HPOP reservoir is .5" from the top. Engine oil level is full, albeit a little dark.

In the last couple months, my truck had been occasionally stalling when I threw in the clutch, but would start right back up. It was happening more frequently recently. Also, the RPMs would drop and almost stall when I put the clutch in, too.

I replaced the CPS with two new ones, and checked every fuse. WTS light turns on and the RPM gauge will move when I try to start. Sometimes the engine turns over roughly when I tried to start it this weekend.

290,000 mile 1997 Cali truck. TS chip (I have since removed it in hopes of starting the truck again)

Would I get any helpful info from a standard OBDII scanner?

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
Welcome!

The usual auto parts place scanners will not read the Ford PSD parameters. Most folks will use AutoEnginuity or the Snap-On with the correct module. Is the CEL light coming on? Make sure that the wiring to the Injection Pressure Regulator (IPR, on the back of the High Pressure Oil Pump, on the back of the HPOP Reservoir) is in good shape and that the nut holding the coil on the IPR id there and snug. Check the connection to the Injection Control Pressure (ICP) sensor (top inboard front edge of the drivers sude head pointing inward at 45*) and see if there is oil in it. You can unplug it and see if it starts using default table values. It will set the CEL, but if it starts that's probably your issue. Cheers!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't have a CEL but I did read a P1316 IDM code tonight. The IPR connection is good, and the ICP connector isn't oily. Unlplugging the ICP didnt fix it. Thanks

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
You might remove the IDM and shake it to see if there could be water in it. Cheers!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts