Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I went to start my truck yesterday and no start. Her eis what I have done so far

-Charged both batteries (separately)
-Checked oil level
-FICM values are 48.5, 12.5, 12.5
-ICP climbs no higher than 360psi (using scan gauge II)
-IPR is 77.6 while starting
-Unplugged the ICP sensor and turn the engine over for about 20 seconds(no start)

The truck is at my house and I have no air compressor to test the hpo systems for leaks. So, what can i do next?

Does anyone have a parts list for what is required to replace the STC fitting, stand pipe and all of the o rings in the hpo system? I want to make sure I replace it all so this doesn't happen again for a while.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
here is a pist of parts I think I might need:
6E7Z-9A332-B Each $102.30 Stand pipe kit-late 04-07 only contains two standpipes, two dummy plugs

4C3Z-9B246-F Each $38.50 updated STC kit 05-up only STC fitting kit

Could this be only a bad IPR or does it sound like there is a leak somewhere?

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Without air you really can't test the system but if you are planning to change it all anyway?????

I do know of 1 guy who had the same problem but he did have one of those little d/c tire pumps and he rigged up and used that. He said it worked ok just took awhile to build up enough air. He did find his leak tho, so unless it's a big leak that the pump can't overcome the loss of air guess it should work. It worked for him.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I don't want to replace anything if it doesn't need replacing. I was hoping someone had some insight as to why my IPR was reading low and if that meant that it needs replaced. I will call a friend to see about an air compressor and see if that tells me anything.

While I have the engine apart, (if it comes to that) what other items should I replace other than maybe the oil cooler?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was able to get an air compressor and did the air test. I removed the oil fill cap and sure enough I heard a gurgling noise coming from the passenger side valve cover.

From what I understand, I can replace the dummy plugs and stand pipes just be taking off the valve covers? Where is the STC fitting located and what symptoms would I have it was faulty?

·
Registered
116 Posts
I was able to get an air compressor and did the air test. I removed the oil fill cap and sure enough I heard a gurgling noise coming from the passenger side valve cover.

From what I understand, I can replace the dummy plugs and stand pipes just be taking off the valve covers? Where is the STC fitting located and what symptoms would I have it was faulty?
It depends on the year, and they type of standpipes. If you have the two piece factory dummy plugs the oil w-pipe needs to come off as well.

Do these before your do an STC fitting! These are much much much easier, and the turbo doesn't have to come off. When I did them I found a good video on youtube for injector replacement... do everything up till' pulling the w-pipe (or injector), depending on model year.

I did both sides, with assistance in about 3-4hrs.

GL!

·
Registered
673 Posts
In my experience the dummy plugs blowing will not cause a no-start cold only hot and the standpipes RARELY fail. What year truck?? Believe it or not the IPR can be changed fairly easy if you have a 90-degree wrench or the special IPR socket. IF you can't airtest you can try an IPR valve or at least pull yours out and check the screen for damage.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Also did you energize the IPR while air testing?? IF not it will have a gurgling sound because the IPR valve is in the open position which allows the pressure to drain.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
truck is a 2006 F-550....CRAP! I just ordered the stand pipes and dummy plugs yesterday too. I didnt energize the IPR. I will do the test again today with the IPR energized. If there is no gurgling sound with the IPR energized then what do you think the issues is?

·
Registered
673 Posts
No the IPR is still in drain position unless you command it closed with a scanner or rig up a pigtail to connect to it to hook directly to a battery.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
When cranking the IPR only reads 77%. isnt that a good indication that there is a leak? I think normally it should read somewhere around 84% IIRC.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So far I have both stand pipes and the passenger side dummy tube out. All of the seals look fine so far. Hopefully the last dummy plug is the issue, otherwise my problems are alot bigger...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OK, both stand pipes and both dummy plugs are in really good shape. I am going to try to get the ipr out and see if its damaged... this is puzzling.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Yeah the IPR should be 85% when cranking. Hopefully that's your issue if not it's gonna be the STC. Even if the IPR screen is clean the valve could still be damaged. What you found didnt surprise me though since I've never seen a no start cold caused by standpipes or dummy plugs in the 6.0 in a Ford application.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I got the ipr out and the screen is broken. Can I test it out of the truck? I would hate to put this all back together to find out the sct went bad, but i dont want to tear it apart if i dont have to, you know.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Also, should I replace the stand pipes and dummy plugs since i have them out? they look good, but you know how it goes with murphys law...

·
Premium Member
5,700 Posts
If the screen is broke then it's likely lodged in the IPR. You have to wonder what it was that went through the screen. Putting an IPR in it will probably fix the truck but it could have a high pressure pump starting to fail. (not common on 05+ trucks though)

If someone got a bunch of dirt in the hpop resevoir it could eventually cause enough of a restriciton it sucks the resevoir screen through unleashing a bunch of dirt at once into the pump. Did anyone do an oil cooler repair recently? An honest effort needs to be made not to get any dirt underneath the oil cooler when replacing it.

replace the standpipes and dummy plugs since they're already out

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I did a little test with the IPR.hooked it to a battery and nothing. No click or movement at all. Aren't they supposed to click or something?

Oh and no oil cooler replacement that I know of...

·
Premium Member
5,700 Posts
I've never heard one click but you're going to need an IPR either way

1 - 20 of 28 Posts