Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off my truck is a 2005 F350 innovative street tune with 247 000 km on it. The last few weeks on first start up it has ran rough, and not wanted to get up to speed for the first 5 min.

This morning went to go start it and it cranks strong, stumbles trying to start, but will not fire up. i looked under the hood and my degas bottle has puked recently and was dry with oily residue in the bottom. i pulled the EGR valve and it was all wet and oily in there.

So i would assume my egr cooler is gone but my question is why would that cause a no start situation?

Any help is appreciated as I'm new to diesels.
Thanks, Sam

PS could someone help me confirm it is my egr cooler thats gone.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Well, maybe but a failed EGR cooler shouldn't stop the truck from starting, except if it allowed so much coolant that you're hydrolocked You may have two things going on here. Your oil cooler / EGR coolers may have failed, but your no-start sounds more like you may have a FICM issue. You should check both. You may also have injector issues, but check your FICM first, the process is in the 6.0 tech section if I recall correctly. If the FICM is good, you'll need to do additional tests and diagnostics.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the quick reply. the engine is not hydrolocked because it will crank over fine. i will have a look for the info about the FICM. A friend told me if i was cranking it over and the oil pressure gauge dident move than it would be the HPOP, is there any truth to that? i also tried to start on ether but dident want to give it to much it ran rough for 10 to 20 seconds but i was afraid to do much more.

thanks for any input

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
The FICM is an easy at home test for those of us without the advanced scan tools. Speaking strictly for myself, since I don't have an AE or Ford IDS, I would check everything that I can that doesn't require those tools. If everything checks out, then you have a choice of tearing things down hoping to find the problem, procuring a scan tool capable of monitoring and commanding the components on the engine, or towing to a service center equipped to diagnose the issue. I haven't been in this situation yet but if it were me (and the FICM is good) I would be ordering the AE scan tool to check other components before digging in and replacing. The cost of the tool would probably be equivalent to the tow to the dealer, diagnostic fee, and the tow home to repair, and certainly less expensive than the tow, diagnostic and repair. Now if you still have warranty, then disregard all of the above and see how your dealership can help.

·
Premium Member
2,584 Posts
thanks for the quick reply. the engine is not hydrolocked because it will crank over fine. i will have a look for the info about the FICM. A friend told me if i was cranking it over and the oil pressure gauge dident move than it would be the HPOP, is there any truth to that? i also tried to start on ether but dident want to give it to much it ran rough for 10 to 20 seconds but i was afraid to do much more.

thanks for any input
With THAT high of mileage, I wouldn't be surprised if in fact the high pressure oil pump has worn, IF THE NO-START IS A LOW ICP ISSUE. But to diagnose, will require use of a scan tool to determine what is missing from the equation. You can PM me if you require more information.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts