Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Installed 2 new batteries and a Leece Nevill 230amp alternator and now the truck won’t start/crank/turn over. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Prior to this, why the batteries and alternator?

Reactions: jokester00

·
Compression Ignition Addict
6,293 Posts
Will it not even crank when jumpering the starter solenoid wire to the passenger positive terminal?

·
6,293 Posts
It is the wire on the passenger side near the fender wall - it has a squeeze and pull connector, wire is yellow with blue stripe IIRC.

·
6,293 Posts
Reactions: nine9six

·
Registered
1 Posts
My truck randomly clicks once when I try to start it,
Both batteries are good and a new alternator. It wouldnt start this evening so I tried jumping the yellow wire with the blue stripe and the starter cranked fine,
This is very random, it will sometimes go for weeks working fine and then it does it
Driving me nuts trying to diagnose this issue

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Flip the relay from a less useful position and see if it improves. Eventually, the contacts of the relays erode enough to fail from the back arcing of whatever they are powering.

Or you have a solenoid that may be failing. The discs in those fail too when supplying the power to the starter motor. We probably have more failed solenoids than starter motors or drive mechanisms.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I did try to jumper the solenoid like y’all mentioned and all it did was the same as in the video. So I replaced the starter and still got the same thing. Tried changing the relays out again but no change. It’s going in the shop within the next week for studs and injectors, so I’m just going to let them figure it out.

·
Premium Member
4,090 Posts
Your ground cable is shot where it connects to the engine block

·
Premium Member
4,090 Posts
Passenger side battery is the main for the starter
Driver side battery is the main for the electronics
yes, they both share some of the load, but if the RH battery is bad or it's connections -- the engine will not start

you said that you used the jumper wire and nothing happened??
no clicking? no sparks?
that wire is direct to the starter solenoid
so -- either bad battery, bad connections, bad starter

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Passenger side battery is the main for the starter
Driver side battery is the main for the electronics
yes, they both share some of the load, but if the RH battery is bad or it's connections -- the engine will not start

you said that you used the jumper wire and nothing happened??
no clicking? no sparks?
that wire is direct to the starter solenoid
so -- either bad battery, bad connections, bad starter
It’s sparked but that was it. I then changed the starter and got the same result, just sparks. Batteries are brand new and fully charged.

·
Registered
547 Posts
batteries were tested and found weak and needed to be replaced. Just changed the alternator as an upgrade
You upgrade your gauge wire as well?

·
6,293 Posts
Try cranking with the belt off.

·
Premium Member
4,090 Posts
It’s sparked but that was it. I then changed the starter and got the same result, just sparks. Batteries are brand new and fully charged.
That wire runs directly to the starter solenoid -- the solenoid should at least click -- if you only get a spark suspect the solenoid is bad
Next - I would jump directly from the small post on the solenoid(where the jumper wire connects) to the battery post on the solenoid -- that is the shortest path to make the solenoid engage
After that jump(big sparks) across the large posts on the starter solenoid -- this bypasses everything -- if the starter still does not turn, then it is bad

new parts do not always equal good parts

1 - 19 of 19 Posts