Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 01 F250 changed the fuel filter the other morning while it was cold, primed and primed no start ran batteries down jumper cables on it fired up after a few more cranks, this morning wouldn,t fire up same thing hook up cable and it fired, my question is can low batteries cause it not to fire up? Once its running the first time it starts every time... I have the battery charger hooked up but 6 amps on 2 batteries is taking for ever! This didnt start until I changed the fuel filter after it wouldnt start the first time I filled the bowl up filter off and made sure it was saturated in fuel!

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
As always, clean the terminals of corrosion if there's any there (however, since it jump starts fine, I doubt it is corrosion causing problems.)

That said, any auto parts chain store (NAPA, Autozone, O'Reilly's, etc) will be able to test the batteries. Don't even bother checking with a volt-meter if you have one, dead batteries can show 12.4~ volts, but can have 0 or near 0 amps, which happened to me last November. I had one battery go bad and kill the other one.

If your batteries are over 5 years old, it's definitely time for replacement, as it's rare for lead-acid batteries to last much beyond 5 years, especially in our trucks that require so much current to start.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I cant really think of any other problem other! And it all happened after the fuel filter, I dont think its air in the line and for it to crank up after it letting it jump for about 5 minutes its weird

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it will crank just not start?

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Does the crank get slower and slower?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes but once its running and after you kill it it starts right up

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
I'd start by having the batteries tested. I tend to follow a sort-of flow chart with these things and you always start by checking the condition of the batteries.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts