Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
truck is a 94 w/ 190k. The guy ran it out of fuel, put 15 gal of fuel in and it would start but not stay running. (run 10sec-90sec) Later find out the lift pump was weak or going dead "supposedly was diag. a year prior" Put on a new fuel pump and now all the truck does is crank and crank. Fuel is getting to the top of the bowl and there is plenty of it. Any ideas of where to look next. The symptoms prior to running out of fuel was the truck was always plugged in and for the first 3 min after start-up it would smoke(blue) giant clouds.
Also this is a International Rollback, but has the 7.3. TIA

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
:bump:any ideas :dunno:

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
My dad had a problem similar to what you're explaining with smoke on startup, and needing to be plugged in. Turned out to be the glow plug relay (which could also cause a no start). I guess in theory, it was having trouble starting with the weak lift pump, and now with a new one it's getting even more fuel which would require more heat to ignite.:dunno:

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You can hear the GPR click when you turn the key everytime all the time. Does the fuel pump need to be bled, I was under the impression the engine cranking would work the air out of the sys.

·
Viking Heavy Diesel
20,739 Posts
The glow plugs may simply just be burnt out. I know mine wouldent start on the warmest day with out starting fluid when my plugs burned out. Start there!

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well looked at the HPOP res. and oil is there, any thoughts, ICP, IPR? Is there a way to know if the glow plugs are shot w/o removing them?

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
CPS maybe?

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hmm... haven't really thought of that, now that would be some weird timing. Lift pump and CPS.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts