Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried to install an Edge Juice Platinum with Attitude on my '04 F-350 yesterday. I followed the instructions to the letter, disconnecting the driver side battery, to access the PCM ports but leaving the passenger side battery connected. after installing it the truck would not start, turned over, sounded like there was ignition occasionally but would not run. I disconnected the Edge, reconnected the PCM harnesses and it still would not start. I figured something got scrambled with power to the vehicle during the process so disconnected both batteries and let it sit.

So now I've removed the Edge unit, disconnected the batteries and attempt a start again. It takes a couple tries, finally starts, but runs like ****. Sounds like it's short a couple cylinders. I let it idle for a bit, ran it up to 1500 RPM but it sounded awful so shut it down again.

I charged up my batteries and reinstalled the Edge, It started up and ran perfectly. I idled in my driveway for about 45 mins while trying to get the display for the tuner to work (I posted another thread yesterday, looks like the head unit is NFG). After deciding that the tuner wasn't going to work, I removed it, reconnected the factory harnesses and restarted the truck. Ran for 30 seconds and shut it down. Wasted an afternoon, time for a beer.

This morning I went out and the truck would not start. Same issue as before, cranks over fine, sounds like there's ignition occasionally, but just won't run.

I've retraced everything that was done, checked all PCM, FICM, ECM fuses. I've unplugged and replugged the PCM harnesses. Checked the emergency fuel shutoff. Just finished a PCM reset. (I unplugged the batteries, turned the lights and ignition on, and shorted the negative and positive leads. Then turned the ignition on then off for 10 seconds three times.) Still nothing. Cranks over, sounds like it's going to catch, but won't run. I've been careful with the batteries, charging them between attempts or jumpstarting from my other vehicle as I understand low voltage can be an issue.

Needless to say this is becoming quite frustrating. I've read some of the other No Start threads, checking FICM voltage, etc. I have a hard time believing that something like that failed because the truck ran great until I started messing with it yesterday. I've come to the conclusion that I must've fried something yesterday. Just wondering if I've missed something obvious that's worth checking before I call the tow truck.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
im pretty sure there is a very simple process to reset the pcm. maybe someone can chime in

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Perhaps while messing with the pcm harness you loosened a plug on the ficm or the 30 pin connector of the engine subharness.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
im pretty sure there is a very simple process to reset the pcm. maybe someone can chime in
I tried the PCM reset. I read a couple of threads here, I saw one guy saying turn the headlights on, then disconnect the batteries, another said turn the ignition on, then disconnect. Is there a specific routine that must be followed or is the idea just to leave something on that'll draw enough juice to drain whatever backup the PCM has?

I disconnected the batteries, then turned the lights and ignition on. I clipped the positive and negative battery leads together and waited about an hour. Would that have accomplished a PCM reset?

dannyboy950 said:
Perhaps while messing with the pcm harness you loosened a plug on the ficm or the 30 pin connector of the engine subharness.
That's worth a shot, I'll have another look. Thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update: I've been rechecking everything I touched. I decided maybe it was a low voltage issue, suspecting bad batteries. Hooked it up to my xterra and ran that up to 2000 RPM. It spun over a little faster but still no start.

After turning the ignition on, waiting to start, and then cranking 5 or 6 times I could smell fuel. looks like a small leak from the fuel filter cap, not a steady stream but wet down the side and a small puddle below.

Could that leak be allowing enough air into the system that it won't run?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK. I had my batteries load tested. The voltage was down, about 12.3 V fully charged, they said that they load tested ok but I went for a new pair anyhow. I picked up a Motorcraft Fuel filter kit as well to deal with the problem I previously posted.

Charged up the new batteries, hooked em up, noticed a difference right away when it turned over. After a long crank it fired up, coughed a bit, tried to idle for 30 seconds and died. I'm thinking to myself, it's probably sucking air through the secondary filter cap. So I drain the HFCM, change both filters, new O-Rings, lubed up.

Prime the fuel system by turning the ignition on until the pump times out 4 times, check everything for leaks. Big smile on my face as I jump in and crank it over annnnnd... NOTHING. Didn't even sound like maybe it wanted to run. Tried 4 or 5 long cranks and got nothing.

IF there's air in the fuel system, is there anything else to do? What if the air has gotten past the secondary filter and down toward the injectors? Is there a purge valve or something downline that I should be checking? Or is the answer keep cranking till she runs? Or do I get up tomorrow, crack open the FICM and then check the HPO system?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts