Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2004 with 06 motor 200k Couple years ago standpipes and HPOP done. Started giving trouble upon warmup. After warm would not start. Once cooled down Ok. ICP at less than 500 when warm. Tried air test and couldn't verify leak. Changed IPR. Now no start. Won't build enough. Unplug ICP and get 1900 on crank but no start. Not sure what is next step. Using a OTC Genisys scanner. No codes.

·
Premium Member
8,429 Posts
What was the procedure for the air test you done?

How much torque on the IPR?

Truck, Van, Motorhome?

Disconnecting the ICP caused the PCM to use a default number -- that number is not real
best to read voltage from the ICP and use the pressure reading to correlate with the voltage

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
So the 1900 is computer default number? ICP voltage .22V and of course 85 %. Crank crap out of it and will hit 2000 and voltage 3.5 and percentage goes to 53. Circuit must be operational and must have good old leak as it won't maintain 500.

·
Premium Member
8,429 Posts
Actually an inferred number based on what the PCM expects for the current conditions -- so would not "always" be 1900
it is part of the strategy to "get you home" in case of a sensor failure

·
Premium Member
8,429 Posts
You had the thread adapter or just stick a rubber tip in the port?
How much pressure?
I was asking you about the torque - how tight did you put it?

·
Premium Member
8,429 Posts
IPR torqued. I made
my own adapter and used 110 lbs.
Thanks
you need to loosen the valve, it can bind the poppet from the threads distorting the bore -- the valve only needs to be tight enough to keep from backing out from vibration -- about 16 pounds
the oring is what does the seal

The socket I got came from Autozone for $8 -- pretty much just a deep well with a split up the side for the solenoid connector

·
Premium Member
8,429 Posts
So, ...when you apply power to the IPR the air sounds stops?

·
Premium Member
8,429 Posts
Does the terminals in the IPR connector look like they are gripping the pins in the IPR?

the percentage is just a commanded value generated by the PCM -- the only real way the PCM "knows" that there is any pressure from the HPOP is by the voltage reading from the ICP

ForScan would be my choice of apps to troubleshoot -- it reads Ford very well and can operate the IPR
so, monitoring the IPC voltage and then changing the IPR value would let you know if the PCM can actually make the changes or not

I suppose you could use a jumper pigtail on the IPR and monitor the ICP voltage -- that would test the HPOP system, but not the electrical side

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Does the terminals in the IPR connector look like they are gripping the pins in the IPR?

the percentage is just a commanded value generated by the PCM -- the only real way the PCM "knows" that there is any pressure from the HPOP is by the voltage reading from the ICP

ForScan would be my choice of apps to troubleshoot -- it reads Ford very well and can operate the IPR
so, monitoring the IPC voltage and then changing the IPR value would let you know if the PCM can actually make the changes or not

I suppose you could use a jumper pigtail on the IPR and monitor the ICP voltage -- that would test the HPOP system, but not the electrical side

·
Premium Member
8,429 Posts
The IPR is controlled by Pulse Width Modulation -- basically 12 volts at 400 MHz but differing "on" - "off" times to control the pintle position
ForScan uses the PCM so you get the benefit of the PWM control
I dont think a variable power supply will give a variable operation of the IPR, but worth a try to see -- post your results

A variable frequency supply may get close, but really a PWM controller is best
you can put straight 12 volts for a few minutes, than will fully close the IPR and drive the pressure to the max -- 4000 psi

Any one of those methods should give valuable intel into whether the high pressure system can build pressure

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So theory is if IPR is latched it should build pressure fast and hold. If not has HP leak. If not has a computer/wiring issue. Do know where 12 supply pin is on computer> Know #2 yellow/red is ground. Just want to do continuity check on IPR and harness.

·
Premium Member
8,429 Posts
I know where it is on the diagram, but those do not often follow reality
The "ground" is PWM controlled by the PCM -- the hot is constant

IPR, EGR, GPCM, and PCM (input #46) share the same hot wire -- from the PCM power relay

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.