Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just replaced my glow plugs and now my truck won't start, it wants to but it doesn't. White and black smoke from tailpipe. Any ideas??? I have it hooked up to another car and have been trying for an hour and a half to start

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Can it hydrolock just by doing plugs?

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Did you reconnect both banks at the UVCH?

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Yeah, everything up top is connected, and I remember plugging everything back in under the covers. I should add this isn't my first time doing plugs

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can I get any feedback? I need to get this running ASAP

·
Registered
6,109 Posts
mine did the same thing once.
i did get an idm related code but i replaced the relay and same deal

if the idm doesnt get enough power it shuts off
take out the batteries and charge them and you should fine

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
So it cranks and is smoking?
If it cranks, it isn't hydrolocked.

If it is smoking, it is getting fuel but maybe not at the right time.
did you unhook any injectors while in there?

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
try unplug'n the ICP. Make sure the connector at IPR is attached, and/or inspect that loom. Possibly you bumped something and now this problem...

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I tried unplugging icp last night and same things. Ipr is still connected. While cranking there is like a knock, injector...? But what are the chances that now an injector failed- because I didn't do anything with them

So it cranks and is smoking?
If it cranks, it isn't hydrolocked.

If it is smoking, it is getting fuel but maybe not at the right time.
did you unhook any injectors while in there?
I had to unhook the connectors to get the gasket out

·
Banned
1,312 Posts
is the glow plug relay clicking in? are you getting 12 volts on the load side of it?

plug the block heater in for a couple of hours and put a charger on the batteries. if it starts and runs ok at that point, then you can rule out a lot of stuff.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's clicking and it has been plugged in for 4 hours at this point. Not sure if I'm getting full 12 volts, but even if, it's almost 60 degrees, I should be able to start without glowplugs right? And as far as the charger goEs, it has been hooked up to another running car the entire time

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
It should start without glowplugs.

I still think you have a connection issue related to the UVCH's.

I am assuming that you replaced the gaskets?

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I didn't replace them, they weren't melted either. I'm thinking uvch too, unfortunately. I'll tear it all back down and try again I guess

·
Registered
8,568 Posts
Do you have a volt meter. If you do, you ohm your connector before pulling the covers to try and narrow it down to one side. Check to see if the plugs you can get to are connected first. What kind of car are you using to jump it and do you have quality cables. IMHO a little car with crappy jumper cables won't do anything towards charging your battery's.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Do you have a volt meter. If you do, you ohm your connector before pulling the covers to try and narrow it down to one side. Check to see if the plugs you can get to are connected first. What kind of car are you using to jump it and do you have quality cables. IMHO a little car with crappy jumper cables won't do anything towards charging your battery's.
I have very good cables and have used a 6.4, does the same as my girlfriends 2010 fusion damn near. And I checked last night, sometimes it would read sometimes it wouldn't with my fluke. But for some reason I can't get readings with a multimeter to save my life where my buddy can. Idk why I just can't, but I do know how to test.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Like I said about i can't take readings, apparently there is only 2 glow plugs working out of the 8 and they only have .3 ohms. They are all brand new.

·
Registered
8,568 Posts
What did the other ones read.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
They didn't read, motorcraft and I did gps yesterday but it say for about 2 days before that. I did just find on driver side 1 injector not hooked up, and the uvch to the valve cover was loose but I had to jerk it to get it off so I may have done it on accident. Should I pull the plugs and crank it or just throw it back together?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts