Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just returnd from a 4,000 mile trip and had no issues. Now all of a sudden, when I start it in the morning and put it into reverse I have no power. It seems like as I back up, the emergency brake is on for about fifty feet. Then it is alright. I have noticed that it is not starting as well either. Not getting any kind of smoke. I have also noticed that even if I let it run for awhile and then try to back up it does the same thing. Even before I put it in gear I can only reach about 1,000 RPM even with the throtle all the way to the floor. It seems it has to be moving for about 50 feet to clear out. Of course we cannot get it to do it at the shop. The only difference is my driveway has an incline and the shop does not. We have noticed that the trans fluid is very dirty but was changed just 4,500 miles ago. It is a 2000 F-250 Super Cab 7.3 diesel. Injectors were bench tested and ok and had the o-rings replaced. No one seems to have an idea what is going on. To me it is like something has ahold of the crank or trany and will not let it spin till the truck has moved the 50 feet or so. I am wondering if anyone has any ideas. I am thinking my trans is the isue.

·
Registered
318 Posts
kind of sounds like a blown reverse gear, could be clutch material you are seeing. does the fluid have any metallic flakes in it?

Im definatelty not an expert on this though.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First of all thanks for a fast reply. I just joined and was very happy to get a fast reply. As for any metallic flakes, I am not sure. The shop did not mention any, just very dirty in a very short time. I do feel that it is something in my trans, I just don't have a handle on it yet. The shop was wondering if it is a fluid pump issue in the trans or just the start of a trans on the way out. The truck does back up and last night I parked it front out so I could see if the angle had anything to do with the problem. It did not seem to and as I put it in drive to pull out it acted the same. I am concerned about the trans also because it will be boat towing season soon and I do not want to to be stuck along the roadside with a boat.

·
Premium Member
8,298 Posts
this is rather odd. did you try just replacing the tranny fluid, and the filter that is inside the tranny? and also look along the tranny lines to see if you might have an in-line tranny filter that you can't see that may be hidden. my tranny was acting up and i couldnt figure out what was wrong, until i took a long look under my truck and found an in line filter. ends up the filter that was hidden was clogged, changed the in line filter and all was good. good luck, keep us posted!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Trany was complety serviced and filter replaced in November. Have not looked for any hidden external filter but the service tech said he did not see any........

·
Registered
318 Posts
you seem to have only mentioned reverse... does it act this way in other gears???? After the 50 feet you were talking about how does the tranny react??

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have tried it both ways. It acts the same in both foward and reverse. It also acts this way in netural. It seems to me that it takes longer turning over to fire then it used to also. Once it does however no matter if in drive, reverse, or netural it will not have any more then about 1,100 RPM till I get about 50 feet out of the driveway. Then everything seems to be ok. My repair shop guy does not think it is in the trans. He thinks it is a pressure valve hanging up but the truck did not do it for hime when left overnight. It realy feels like the emergengy brake is on when I try to move but this would not explain why it acts the same way in netural unless it is something in the trans that is restricting the RPM's..........

·
Registered
203 Posts
Hey MTietz......... I know this guy he's the President of the ATRA. He has a shop in Cortez Co. Called Jimmies Transmission and his name is Jimmy give him a call : 970-565-3173 (and he'll give you an honest answer, He's the best guy in the world. hope everything workes out for you. Tollen

·
Registered
318 Posts
yea, doesnt sound like the tranny, it is rather odd that the fluid is really dirty again though...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes it is something I will have to keep an eye on. Heres the kicker though, about four day ago it stoped doing it. I start it up now and everything is fine. At this point I don't know what to make of it so I will have to keep an eye on things and see what happens. I hate waiting for something to go bad or break. Would much rather fix it before hand but cannot find the problem......

1 - 11 of 11 Posts