Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For test drive engine was cold, truck ran great. Got home servicing truck noticed waste gate linkage was unhooked and small oil leak. Hooked up waste gate linkage oil leak stopped and know on a 80 degree day truck has to warm up a good 10 mins before it will run right. If you try to drive it before its ready, heavy black smoke and nothing more than 1st gear and 10-15 mph. Until it is good and warmed up and then its like you flipped the switch and off it goes like it should no problem as long as it stays warm. Confused, any suggestions?

·
Registered
51 Posts
if when that waste gate linkage was unhooked and it ran good then i would unhook it to see. not to sure if that would be it, just thinking with my navy brian here

·
Registered
68 Posts
Sounds like it could be your EBPV (exhaust back-pressure valve) is not opening soon enough.Your PCM is supposed to keep it closed until your engine reaches a certain temp., I've only seen mine operate in the winter when it's cold. You can see it's linkage on the bottom left (passenger) side of the turbo. It is where the exhaust exits the turbo.
There is a two prong electrical plug on the bottom right side of the turbo pedistal. You might try unplugging it, it will disable the EBPV and you will be able to see if that's your problem. Unplugging your EBPV will not hurt anything.
Good luck! :thumb:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry guys, its a 96 f350 srw 7.3 powerstroke around 195,XXX. Gonna try the EBPV let you know. Thanks for the help

·
Registered
781 Posts
if its the sock turbo then it has no wast gate and its more then likly holding you ebpv closed mine did this tow winters ago and i cut it out and have not looked back but it dont get near as cold out here as some places. good luck man.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When I get back home towards the end of the week I will try it out and report back....thanks to everyone for the help/suggestions

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey does anybody have a picture of the EBPV valve location. Momma always said a picture is worth a thousand words. I would go out and look at the truck but like I said out of town until later this week and want to try to unplug the EBPV as soon as I get home and want to make certain I am looking at the right thing around the turbo.

·
Registered
366 Posts

see that safty wire? thats what i had to do to get that to stop i tried to disconnect it electricly and didnt work. but now im all goodi still let it warm up a little before i drive

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay got home and unplugged the EBPV valve which was on the driver side of the turbo (Think that was it, only plug I could find). No change still no power. Hondafolife thanks for the picture. On my truck I have a spring where you have the safety wire. Mine is not hooked to anything it is just hanging. I ask the mechanic and he said he wasn't sure were it hooked to. I believe this may be the problem because on the test drive before I bought the truck with a cold motor there was no problem with power, so something has changed obviously. Just not sure what this spring hooks to. Anybody with pics of the spring or ideas let me know. Thanks in advance to anyone that can help or at least took the time to read this long post.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
okay try to keep it short.Ha! EBPV unplugged no change. Hondaforlife thanks for the pic. Confused on this thing on the bottom of the turbo that Hondaforlife has safety wired. I have been watching this on my truck and here is what I noticed. First off I have a spring just hanging from this thing that I have no idea where it connects too. Mechainc told me because of a small oil leak around the turbo pedastal he accidentally noticed the rod that is attached to it wasn't hooked up, connected it and oil leak stopped, but now truck runs like !#%@. until you let it warm up and trust me after enough times of sitting waiting I can now tell by the exhaust sound when it is ready to drive. If you watch while someone pushes the throttle this thing will rotate towards the back of the truck. Which way is open and which was is closed? What is the position suppose to be normally? Swung out towards the front of the truck or towards the back? I know easy questions for you guys but I for some reason just cant grasp what is going on. I know someone can explain it to me an unwrap my head from around the axle. Once it is warmed up it runs great, lots of power, like a powerstroke should. By the way thanks for reading to the end, and any suggstions you guys have.:dunno:

·
Registered
776 Posts
Dayton, I'm sure exactly what you don't understand, so I'll give a brief explination of the EBPV. The EBPV (exhaust back pressure valve) is a butterfly valve that International installed on the early 7.3 motors. It's purpose is to assist in engine warming in cold weather. The idea is that the trucks computer, which gets data from the thermostat etc., shuts the valve to hold back some exhaust, to help the engine warm up faster. There are a few glitches with this idea, which I won't go into. Anyways, that's the condensed version of the EBPV.

As for the position of the actuating arm. Well, that's going to be a tough one. I was having issues with mine, so I let it warm up good and toasty, then I unplugged the temp sensor wire. (that way I knew the stupid valve would be open). Anyways, I looked, and mine (which is a Ca. version truck, which are different in a few ways from the 49 states version), is connected somewhere beind the turbo pedistal. So, for me, and my truck, the linkage, is to the rear of the truck, not the front. Not sure if this is at all helpfull or not. (hopefully it is)

mike

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mike,
Thanks for the explanation that helped. The actuating arm linkage for the butterfly valve is on the backside of my turbo pedestal also. Give the truck throttle the actuator rod pushes out from the turbo pedestal turning the thing counterclockwise or towards the back of the truck. If I understand it correctly (which with the patience of you guys I will get eventually) as the thing rotates counterclockwise the butterfly valve is opening, correct? Man thanks for the help and to anyone else in advance.
Matt

·
Registered
776 Posts
Matt, I'm glad to hear my explination helped. I must say though, to be perfectly honest, I have absolutely no idea which way the actuator moves.(toward front or back). I've never been under the hood watching it, waiting for it to open. But hopefully you can get yours all sorted out without any more grief.

It's kind of a cool idea, but I'm guessing that International was like :doh:

mike

1 - 15 of 15 Posts