Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My truck just started having an issue. Every once in awhile the truck has no power at take off. I will floor it, it moves forward real sluggish for about 20 feet, and won't go past 20 lbs. of boost. I just got my boat out of winter storage that weighs 10,00 lbs, went to pull out in traffic and it would barely go. I'm worried this might happen at the boat ramp when I'm pulling it out of the water.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
turbo lag ?

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
It's twin turbo, it's a 6.4 ... there should be virtually no turbo lag.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
the lag most of us feel isnt lag, its a fueling issue, as for the OP, i couldnt tell ya

·
Registered
132 Posts
Mine does the same thing During regen it wont build over 20psi and its real sluggish feels like it shifts bad if i shut it off and restart it its usually better

·
Registered
204 Posts
i've got a similar issue, and i'm not convinced it's a regen issue.

My issue does not go away, it is constant. I was beginning to think that it was just me getting used to the truck.... I've3 been driving it since last march. When I first got the truck I thought it had lots of off the line get up and go.... now not so much, I was thinking it was just me, but with these posts, i'm not convinced anymore.

My truck needs to go in for the two recalls.... I'd like to ask the techs to take a look, but i'm not sure what to tell them, as I don't really know how to explain the problem other than it seems to take things a few seconds to spool up. I would guess either the primarry turbo, or sometimes I even think maybe it is the torque converter taking a few seconds to engage. I'm not technically familiar enough with either of these components to know where to ask someone to start looking.

Also, for what it's worth, when having my scheduled service done in March, I asked the dealer to update the CPU.... I have a gen 1 6.4, and was told on this forum that there was a PC flash that would allow the dashboard information center to show a message when the truck was in regen..... Dealer said they weren't familiar with it, but they flashed me to the most recent version. To date, i've not seen a message that the engine was in regen mode.... Not sure which build 69cougar has, but if his computer shows when the engine is in regen, he should be able to correlate whether his problem is related to regen or something else...... if problem is seen when not in regen mode, problem is not related to regen :)

·
Premium Member
17,841 Posts
My truck just started having an issue. Every once in awhile the truck has no power at take off. I will floor it, it moves forward real sluggish for about 20 feet, and won't go past 20 lbs. of boost. I just got my boat out of winter storage that weighs 10,00 lbs, went to pull out in traffic and it would barely go. I'm worried this might happen at the boat ramp when I'm pulling it out of the water.
If your truck is feeling that bad, then I would take it to the dealer, something is telling me that your DPF is not getting cleaning correctly, so there is some wrong with regen.......with any turbo motor is there is going to be some kind of lag, the exhaust has to build up to spin the turbo first :nod:

·
Registered
59 Posts
jbiersba, I also asked my dealer about the filter cleaning notifacation and he said he called there service rep and it does not exist, yet? Others talk about seeing it? Was told its not available untill 09 model?

My truck doesn't kick in right away either when taking off, unloaded, I don't care if its turbo lag or programming, when you punch it, it should go.

When towing it doesn't seem to lag that bad.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Interesting..... I thought it was a post on this forum that prompted me to ask the dealer to flash my computer to get this new output..... I also thought someone had confirmed that they saw the message displayed. Ooh well, guess there is a disconnect somewhere. It would be nice though to know when the engine was in regen mode...... it would explain power loss, and would also prevent me from pulling out in traffic and expecting the truch to get up and go.

I'm still going to ask my dealer to check things out when I take it in for the recalls (still gotta make that appointment) because I really can't say as I have noticed the truck in regen mode since it's last service (about 4k miles ago), and I still think that it's been acting a little sluggish overall. I've also noticed an overall MPG drop since the last service (which included the software update). I was averaging ~15 MPG last summer and throughout the winter, and this past spring. It would vary slightly depending on how I was driving, but after the software update i've been much closer to the ballpark of 12 - 13 MPG...... I'm sure everyone is paying a lot more attention to this given the current cost of fuel, and 3 MPH doesn't seem like that big of a deal, but it adds up :)

·
Registered
75 Posts
OK, so I had a similar thing happen to me, but it was a little different. I was pulling a 10k trailer @ 65 and 35 PSI boost when the pedal had no response and the boost dropped to 10 and speed fell to 40. I turned it off and it cleared and drove 2-3 miles and it did it again. This happened 7 or 8 times w/o the CEL coming on except when restarting. On the last time, the CEL came on and wouldn't clear but the truck had all the normal power. I had the dealer reset the CEL and it is an intermittent injection pump problem or the wiring harness. This causes the engine to go into limp mode. I guess the pump operates at 20k PSI, but when it fails it only puts out like 5K so no boost or power. And mine only has 4600 miles on it....but it has a lot of other issues too!! Just my .02. Good luck, but I would try to get it to set a code and have warranty cover it.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Interesting..... I thought it was a post on this forum that prompted me to ask the dealer to flash my computer to get this new output..... I also thought someone had confirmed that they saw the message displayed. Ooh well, guess there is a disconnect somewhere. It would be nice though to know when the engine was in regen mode...... it would explain power loss, and would also prevent me from pulling out in traffic and expecting the truch to get up and go.

I'm still going to ask my dealer to check things out when I take it in for the recalls (still gotta make that appointment) because I really can't say as I have noticed the truck in regen mode since it's last service (about 4k miles ago), and I still think that it's been acting a little sluggish overall. I've also noticed an overall MPG drop since the last service (which included the software update). I was averaging ~15 MPG last summer and throughout the winter, and this past spring. It would vary slightly depending on how I was driving, but after the software update i've been much closer to the ballpark of 12 - 13 MPG...... I'm sure everyone is paying a lot more attention to this given the current cost of fuel, and 3 MPH doesn't seem like that big of a deal, but it adds up :)
The new flash is supposed to show when the truck is in regen mode. This is the first time I have seen anything mentioned about the filter message. I suspect you are going to see a CEL and the code will say you have a problem with the back pressure.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Ok I am curious too I just bought a used 6.4 w/ about 20k miles and it feels the same to me I just thought it was a dog of a truck. When I mash the go pedal from a dead stop it kinda hesitates and faintly puffs black smoke??? Do I need to reflash this truck with update? I need to know I already have an SCT waiting on delete pipe

·
Registered
100 Posts
Also will this require me to leave at dealer for a whole day? Or something they can just send a tech out to do in a few minutes?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi all , I too now have a constant issue with power / hesitation. I've had my truck into multiple dealerships.I've not even had my truck a year. I have given up and contacted a lawyer. I'm done . I suggest you all having these issues look into the lemon law and keep your eyes and ears open. Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well I did fuel my truck with LSD. Since I posted this issue I have now run 2 tanks of USLD. The truck now seems to be ok, and only did it once last tank, and has not happen since the last fuel up. I do add the cetane boost from ford every tank since I bought it new.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Is it true the new dealer 'flash' will notify you when the truck is in regen? My truck doesnt

1 - 20 of 26 Posts