Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the oddest issue going on with my 2006 F-350.

First, I believe the dealer I bought it off of actually disable the CEL. I was under there today and online looking for a diagram/schematic but to no avail.

When I open the door to the cab, nothing happens. I'm assuming interior lights should come on? (they do when I turn the truck off so I don't believe it's some weird instrument/dial setting). I also never hear the "ding-ding-ding" bell when I enter or turn the key to "on". I also never see the CEL in the "on" position.

The oddest thing, and I think it may be related, is that when I turn the key the first time to "start" it just cranks. If I turn the key all the way "off" and then back to "on", wait for glow plugs indicator to go out, then "start", she starts right up and purrs like a kitten.

Any ideas as to what I should be looking for? Like I said, I don't trust the dealer and was told by a mechanic friend that the dealer likely messed with the CEL or related wiring to extinguish permanently. He also said that this might be the root of my other engine start issue mentioned above.

Thoughts?

· Registered
2,258 Posts
Interesting for sure, never heard or seen that before. My guess would maybe be something wrong with a wiring harness somewhere.

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So, it turns out that at least the startup issue was because of a failing starter - go figure. I happened to damage a lead on the solenoid when removing the old starter to get to the coolant drain plug. Decided to go to scrap yard, picked up a used starter for $50 and installed it. Starts on first turn EVERY time.

I still have the aforementioned electrical issues, but at least now I'm much more comfortable with the running condition of the truck. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.