Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started off to work this morning - truck started and ran fine with all gauges where they should be. About a mile from home, oil pressure drops to ZERO on the gauge and I have a warning message on the dash "low oil pressure".

I pulled off immediately, shut down, and checked the oil - exactly where it always is at the full line. Other than the gauges, no indication that anything is wrong - running smoothly, normal power, normal engine sounds. Called two local dealers to try and get a service appointment - they're booked for the next week but seemed to think if it was still running and not making any strange sounds that it was probably a sending unit and okay to drive. However, I don't think that'd help me if I end up doing any engine damage...

Went ahead and drove the mile back home with no problems at all - still sounds and runs perfectly fine. Truck restarts fine - less than a second of cranking each time. Hooked up AE and the high-pressure oil pressure seems perfectly fine (~580 idle, climbs with throttle and the 'actual' value closely approximates the 'requested' value). I can't seem to find a sensor for low pressure oil pressure in the AE list.

Reseated the oil pressure sending unit connector with no change.

Given that the HP oil system is dependent on the LP system, I'd tend to believe that it's a problem with reading the oil pressure and not an actual lack of oil pressure.

What do you guys think? Should I go buy and install a new sending unit? Any fuses inline that might be bad? Look somewhere else? Wait for a service appointment in a week? Really need the truck for work, but I'd rather rent something than end up replacing an engine! Any idea if this is still safe to drive or could I potentially be doing engine damage?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just in case it helps anyone later - I believe the oil pressure sending unit was the problem.

Pulled the oil filter and checked for metallic debris - none found. Also checked that the oil filter refilled when cranking - and it did. Figured I'd rather gamble on a $40 part and an hour of work to try and avoid a week wait for dealer service and a $100 deductible.

Replaced the sending unit and cleaned the connector. Found a bit of fresh oil inside the connector on the old sending unit. Oil pressure is now where it should be (or at least is high enough to make the gauge happy...need to invest in an oil pressure gauge). Did a bit of driving around to check it out. Made it to full temperature and had no problems from idle to WOT. High pressure oil pressure matched the 'requested' value all the way up to ~4,000 PSI. Keeping my fingers crossed this did the trick...

·
Premium Member
14,493 Posts
Bet that sent your stomach flying in knots!:eek::eek::eek::eek:

A tech should see this soon.:nod:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, definitely found a quicker way than coffee to wake up this morning! :scared::scared::scared:

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Glad ya got it fixed, a mechanical, shop oil pressure gauge would have been very helpful.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts