Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
had all of the "bullet proofing" done by a very reputable 6.0 mechanic 4,000 miles ago. Arp studs, head gaskets, oil cooler,high pressure oil dummy plugs, turbo feed line, turbo drain line, blue fuel spring, egr delete, and oil change. On the way home today notice "check gage" light on while at a stop light and oil pressure gauge is on 0! As soon as I give it throttle to move or in neutral the gauge jumps up to normal and stays there as long as Im not at idle. As soon as Im at idle there is no oil pressure! Please share your thoughts.

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
First off the dash gauge is next to useless for trouble shooting, at 7 psi it will register normal and stay that way as long as you have 7psi. Now thats good for the gauge but not for engine operation. Low pressure oil should be min 45 psi. thats to lube the engine and provide oil to the HPOP oil resivoir.

You need to install a mechanical test gauge and adapter in the test port on the bottom front of the oil filter houseing and test while starting and running.

You probably have a low pressure oil pump going out or a bad regulator.

·
Registered
673 Posts
If it's still running strong I would say oil pressure sending unit. If base oil pressure was under 7 psi in my experience you notice a loss of power or a very distinct engine sound. Since the HPOP needs base oil pressure to supply injection pressure most base oil pressure issues will keep the engine from running.

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
My appologies OP I read something there that actually wasn't. Rereading your post your truck is running just the gauge is fluctuateing. Must be too used to seeing no start hard start posts with low oil pressure.

Ajpu1983 is correct it is probably only a bad sensor. I need to watch myself closer. LOL

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Thanks to all for help. Must be sensor as truck is running fine. Waiting on part.
If the sensor doesn't fix it.... Might be the HPOP ball bearing issue...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts