Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some advise. 06 6.0 no start. The truck has been along start when cold for several weeks. Now no start at all. No Icp pressure per sct programmer or dash gauge. Pulled filter and pushed down plunger, tried to start and no oil going into housing. Checked lpop valve and it is good. Should I pull oil pan to check pick up or do an air test next?

·
Premium Member
4,202 Posts
When truck is turning over, do you hear an even crank? Any metal in the oil? Any coolant in the oil? Sounds like it's time to pull and check the LPOP for damage.

-jokester

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When truck is turning over, do you hear an even crank? Any metal in the oil? Any coolant in the oil? Sounds like it's time to pull and check the LPOP for damage.

-jokester
Smooth crank, nothing in oil and is clean. I was thinking that too truck does have 230k on it. Just wanted to see if anyone else had ideas before I go buy the crank seal tool.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

-jokester
Smooth crank, nothing in oil and is clean. I was thinking that too truck does have 230k on it. Just wanted to see if anyone else had ideas before I go buy the crank seal tool.

·
Premium Member
4,202 Posts
You put a magnet in the oil and didn't find anything?

I've never LPOP damage in person, but from the pictures that i've seen on here and elsewhere, that looks more like an injector snap ring or some kind of metal clip rather than a needle bearing - just due to the shape. These guys will be able to help more and tell you for sure though...

@kaya
@LoxDiesel
@bismic
@Hydro

-jokester

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You put a magnet in the oil and didn't find anything?

I've never LPOP damage in person, but from the pictures that i've seen on here and elsewhere, that looks more like an injector snap ring or some kind of metal clip rather than a needle bearing - just due to the shape. These guys will be able to help more and tell you for sure though...

@kaya
@LoxDiesel
@bismic
@Hydro

-jokester
[/QUOT
I did run magnet through oil and nothing, just that metal in pic that was stuck to inside of cover. I sure hope it was just a clip from injector. If anyone else has any input I would greatly appreciate. Btw truck did run just fine until shut down and just would not fire back up which leads me to believe it would Not be a needle bearing.

·
Premium Member
8,429 Posts
Looks like the metal backup piece for the injector top seal -- some of the marks in the gerotor set ate straight like a lifter roller tho
there should be junk in the bottom of the oil pan

has there been work done on the cam and lifters in the past?
how about injector top seals?

·
Compression Ignition Addict
10,212 Posts
I agree - looks to me like a needle bearing left a few marks - in addition to the piece from an injector fastener. Who worked on it last?

·
Premium Member
4,202 Posts
Question: If it was a needle bearing, wouldn't he have an uneven crank or hear thumping coming from the intake?

-jokester

·
Premium Member
8,429 Posts
Depends on how bad the cam lobe is at this time, if it is fresh then you may not notice much, but if the lobe is thrashed then would hear it more
also a vid of the intake and exhaust when running or cranking is the only way we can know if there is a sound, otherwise it is up to the one working on the truck to make the determination

Reactions: jokester00

·
Compression Ignition Addict
10,212 Posts
Personally, I wonder if lifter issues follow a failed LPOP or precede it ..... (or both)

·
Premium Member
3,361 Posts
Personally, I wonder if lifter issues follow a failed LPOP or precede it ..... (or both)

Mark, I've got failed cams and lifters from the vehicle, and two other motors lifters; and every story with images I could find. I'd say from these the lifter or cam fail first, taking out the LPOP.

The LPOP should be running fine for a very long time until it eats something.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Mark, I've got failed cams and lifters from the vehicle, and two other motors lifters; and every story with images I could find. I'd say from these the lifter or cam fail first, taking out the LPOP.

The LPOP should be running fine for a very long time until it eats something.
so shouldn’t the truck have a noticeable noise or miss if a lifter went? The truck ran fine then just would not start. Do you think I should pull oil pan to see if I can find what wentthrough there besides what was found in pic above before pulling whole motor out. Keep in mind I don’t have a.lift so pulling motor would be from front.

·
Premium Member
3,361 Posts
As Hydro noted above, take a video of rotating the engine over using the starter engagement circuit connector on the passenger fender side. This will allow the more experienced people here to see what it sounds like.

It may not have a lifter coming apart ..... yet. When something like that goes through the oiling system, it doesn't necessarily get caught in the filter. If the differential of pressure across the filter membrane when the oil is cold is too high, the filter bypasses. Every engine does this. So then, the debris will go into the HPOP reservoir as well as the normal oiling channels.

Reactions: jokester00
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.