Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently blocked off my EGR cooler because of a horrible white/grayish smoking problem I had from stop lights, etc. After I finished the job, however, I noticed that I did not blow black smoke any more when I get on it running down the road. It also seems like I don't have as much power as I used to, but could be I'm just not used to driving it on a daily basis any more.

The truck still smokes like it did before, the EGR block off didn't help that part. I also inspected the VGT solenoid to make sure it didn't have any blown o-rings and everything looks fine there. I just takes a while to build power from a dead stop... I'd say a good 5 seconds after WOT.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I used a steel freeze plug and slim piece of aluminum with gaskets at the manifold/egr cooler connection.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
so, the EGR cooler is still there? You only blocked off the exhaust gases from entering the EGR cooler,correct?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's correct. Just blocked the exhaust. EGR valve and cooler are still in place.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
that's your problem. Thats not a EGR delete, that's a EGR block off. If you are smoking blueish/gray your EGR cooler is blown. You either have to replace or delete the cooler. A simple block off will not fix a blown EGR cooler. So thats why you are still smoking, you still have coolant dumping into the motor.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok that might explain the issue of still having smoke, can't I test that for sure by running it for a few minutes, then popping out the egr valve to see if it's wet?

But this doesn't seem explain the lack of black smoke and potential loss of power...

The truck also pukes a little coolant out the degas bottle, it's not much and only when I really romp on the throttle

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
if the cylinder are filling up with coolant it will cause a major lack of power.

If you valve is wet,or you are smoking white out the exhaust, I assure you your EGR cooler is blown.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok thanks, I'll try to look at it today after work. I'll report back with findings.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
sounds good. Also, since you are gonna have it back apart to replace or delete the EGR cooler, we highly suggest getting the oil cooler rebuild kit from ford.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well about 6 months ago I replaced the EGR cooler and oil cooler (before I knew what the heck I was doing) otherwise I would have deleted it back then.

Do you think I should still replace the oil cooler? It has < 1000 miles on it, at the very most.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts