Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, before starting, yes - I did search, but I couldn’t find anything answering my questions regarding the No Limit intercooler. Here’s what I’m hoping to find out from people who actually have the intercooler.

1. Did you notice a legitimate difference? Ideally I’d like to see a before/after dyno but I’m guessing that isn’t out there as I haven’t been able to find it anywhere in my searching.

2. No Limit claims up to 1mpg better fuel mileage. Anyone see a legitimate change in MPG? Even at 1mpg its looking like around 80k mi before it pays itself off so there would have to be some other benefits (outside of preventing the OEM leaking issues before it happens).

3. I saw a mention that the intercooler doesn't line up with some of the OEM intercooler piping. Has anyone had this issue or was it a one time thing?

Thanks in advance for any info!

·
Super Moderator
9,602 Posts
1) There's never going to be an honest to God dyno that gives you the power gains you want to see.

2) I'm modded way to much to say the intercooler alone made that kind of MPG change. I get great MPG considering my mods.

3) I bought one of the first runs of the intercooler. I don't recall any alignment issues with stock piping being mentioned. If there were problems, I'd expect the new batches to have better alignment on stock piping.

I can say that my temps out run 20-25*F over ambient. I.E. So if the outside air temps are 90*F, the post intercooler temps into the intake are 110-115*F.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1) There's never going to be an honest to God dyno that gives you the power gains you want to see.

2) I'm modded way to much to say the intercooler alone made that kind of MPG change. I get great MPG considering my mods.

3) I bought one of the first runs of the intercooler. I don't recall any alignment issues with stock piping being mentioned. If there were problems, I'd expect the new batches to have better alignment on stock piping.

I can say that my temps out run 20-25*F over ambient. I.E. So if the outside air temps are 90*F, the post intercooler temps into the intake are 110-115*F.
Thanks for the response. I figured the dyno graph of a before and after probably isn’t out there or I would have come across it. I do think it would have some valuable info that could be interpolated though. On the dyno, what I was more looking for was the claimed “1.5 psi” increase (which I assume is actually just less pressure loss then the turbo actually making “more boost“). That should however be a measurable increase in hp/tq (not that you would probably feel it much, if at all) but 1.5lbs should show up on a before and after dyno to the tune of 15-20hp difference. I would also be interested to see if it shifted the power to the left of the curve a bit (builds boost faster).

Would be nice to see a mpg gain but I have my doubts it would be a 1mpg gain, though if it was, that would give the potential to pay itself off long term (if you keep your truck for 100k for instance).

The info on the IAT vs. ambient is good. That gives me something I can compare to on my truck. I’ll have to keep an eye on it for a few days and see what my temp delta is.

Thanks again for the info. If anyone else has some back to back info comparing stock to the No Limit I would love to hear your thoughts.

·
Super Moderator
9,602 Posts
I can say when I push it hard to 20+ PSI there's no issues getting there. Truck rolls along just fine. Turbo EATS air and loves it when a High Pressure weather system is around town.

I wish it was easier to swap out the intake manifolds for ported ones. There is an exhaust manifold kit now (2015-2016) from BD that could help with airflow....

We got to dream.....LOL

·
Super Moderator
9,602 Posts
This is not from NL but "another" intercooler builder regarding the data from adding on an aftermarket intercooler:

i can tell you on a bone stock truck, no tuning, the intercooler gained exactly 1 mpg, so at any level they increase efficiency. in terms of size, the core is 55% larger than stock, the flow increase on a superflow 870 flowbench was 31% increase, the pressure drop across the core was dropped from 2+ psi to .5psi , so 1.5 psi gain on average. throttle response will be increased, egt's will drop, and in towing applications the vehicle will downshift less , period. on the tuned 2015 dually we did all the testing on , we saw 10hp/80tq gain. on the higher hp bigger turbo trucks we saw less hp gain , more like 2-5hp, and tq gain in the 15-25 range. to this day we have after 250+ sold, we've never had 1 leak, and they are 100% made in america with all american material , including the core. i run ours on my 1200+ , 90+ psi boost 2013 and it performs flawlessly. crazy thing is i bet personally at 1200hp we would need to go air to air , zane @ h&s bet it would work, he was right.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is not from NL but "another" intercooler builder regarding the data from adding on an aftermarket intercooler:

i can tell you on a bone stock truck, no tuning, the intercooler gained exactly 1 mpg, so at any level they increase efficiency. in terms of size, the core is 55% larger than stock, the flow increase on a superflow 870 flowbench was 31% increase, the pressure drop across the core was dropped from 2+ psi to .5psi , so 1.5 psi gain on average. throttle response will be increased, egt's will drop, and in towing applications the vehicle will downshift less , period. on the tuned 2015 dually we did all the testing on , we saw 10hp/80tq gain. on the higher hp bigger turbo trucks we saw less hp gain , more like 2-5hp, and tq gain in the 15-25 range. to this day we have after 250+ sold, we've never had 1 leak, and they are 100% made in america with all american material , including the core. i run ours on my 1200+ , 90+ psi boost 2013 and it performs flawlessly. crazy thing is i bet personally at 1200hp we would need to go air to air , zane @ h&s bet it would work, he was right.
Nice! Do you happen to know which intercooler they are referencing? Feel free to PM me with the info if not able to be posted here for whatever reason. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
9,602 Posts
I should have added this was inregards to the 6.7L motor. You are fine with a NL inter-cooler. Trust them....

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Right, I'm running a 6.7. I was more just interested on the other options out there. I know Mishimoto has one, No Limit, maybe another that you mentioned above?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts