Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Abit of a giving back to the community for those still on the fence about tuning their truck. I have never used EZ Lynk before and am a moderate mechanic.

TL;DR - Despite abysmal instructions and inconsistent data on their website, I highly recommend No Limit and this setup. EZ-Lynk was impressively simple and takes about an hour in the garage. Get the shift-on-the-fly option. EGR Bypass is pending. Android app and iOS app are both available (No Limit website is out of date)

Background:
I have a 2014 F-250 w/ 50k miles CCSB. It's the family beach/road trip vehicle with the heaviest load being some luggage and paddleboards. I wanted a truck with a lot of interior room, which the F-250 has in spades, while the power and fuel economy made the Powerstroke an easy decision. The EGR was replaced under warranty twice: once at 15k miles, and again at 45k miles. I personally don't mind the DPF and EGR...until it fails. With the EGR needing replaced 5k miles ago, I started looking into how to permantently solve it as my warranty was coming up. The EZ-Lynk (and EGR Bypass) are my solution; releasing untapped torque and correct the flaccid-stock-shifting were bonuses.

The EZ-Lynk and SOTF is installed. I haven't installed the EGR Bypass (yet) as I'm still researching the procedure.

Review:
I got the EZ Lynk with Tyrant Tuning, SOTF switch, and EGR Bypass from No Limit Tuning. After a lot of research on different options and tuners and chose the EZ Lynk for it's improved future-compatibility, data logging, gauge monitoring, and being able to move to a new vehicle (if I wanted to). I called a few different dealers and was impressed with No Limits' responses and patience with my noob questions (what's the difference between the bypass and block? Why would I want one over the other?). Not only are they very active on the forums, but I actually spoke to Jeremy; THE guy who I've been reading about. All of the companies I spoke to were well versed and choosing one was a hard decision, but I choose No Limit mostly due to their activity on the forums.

Unboxing:
The EZ Lynk, switch, and EGR arrived on time via 3-day UPS. It was packaged well (BTW: The 'No Limit' packaging tape was AWESOME.). The switch included a wire loom (impressive) and a sticker w/ 1-5 indicator for the switch (impressive again), and the EGR block is high-quality aluminum that's been CNC-ed. It was obvious this wasn't some *******-rig job; the packaging tape, the loom, and switch sticker, clearly announced a thorough effort and work to deliver a quality product.

Installing EZ Lynk:
The EZ Lynk hooks up to the OBD2 port and is paired with a mobile app called "Auto Agent" available on Android and iOS. Connectivity between the EZ Lynk and the App is down over WiFi, which is a nice addition so you don't lose your Bluetooth connection to the truck. Be sure to disable your Bluetooth when writing a tune to the ECU; otherwise you may auto-connect to your radio, play music and adversely affect the Auto Agent process. You'll see a lot of options for ECU profiles, with little-to-no directions on which one to download. If you get the same setup I did, you'll want the 13-14-TD-SOTF-NON-VGT-NEW-SWITCH (40-175hp) Updated 12/17. It took about 10-15 minutes to download the tune into the truck once is started "installing".

There's no security on the Wi-Fi broadcast and no authentication on the app. While there is value in real-time monitoring your vitals via the app, I question it's value when considering the security risk. Once I updated the tune, I disconnected the EZ Lynk and left it in my glove box incase I need it in the future. If I do tow with it, I'll hook it up temporarily to monitor my EGT and then unhook it when done.

Installing the switch:
The instructions are atrocious. Getting the wires through the firewall was explained well and had a couple of pictures, but the instructions to find the Charge Air Temp Sensor were two black-and-white picture, bad angles, and a very light arrow. I've attached two better pictures showing the placement. There were no suggestions nor instructions on switch placement; you're left more-or-less on your own. Not being a fan of drilling a hole in the dash of my $50k truck, I opted to use one of my cigarette lighters, a washer painted black, and a piece of cheap sheet metal on the back to hold the switch (added a picture as well). I expected color pictures for my $1500 investment.

EGR Bypass (Not done):
The Achilles Heel of this setup are the instructions, and the EGR bypass is the most egregious example. There are 31 steps for the entire procedure and the entire thing barely takes up a page an a half. Most of the instructions are single sentences, with a couple of small black and white pictures (2"x2") on a separate page. I'll be doing more research before I tackle this. I was disappointed as the EGR Bypass was the primary reason I bought the setup, but I'm confident that it'll be worth it once I've done the homework to figure out how to install it.

Tune Review:
My first impression: WOW, what a big difference. The options are potent and easily discernible, while the transmission shifts fantastic. The hobbled-wet-noodle feeling is gone; now the truck pulls, pulls, then pulls some more. Step 2 or 3 will probably be my daily-tune, with step 4 & 5 there for a quick bit of fun. I've only put a dozen miles during test drives and will be updating as I put some more time on it.

Bottom Line:
This is a great setup that's well thought-out and worth the investment. The only demerits are the poor instructions and inconsistent website; the instructions to build an IKEA side table are more detailed than the EGR bypass. But No Limit makes up for it with it's fantastic customer service, quality parts, and attention to other details (wire looms, stickers, etc.) Overall 4-out-of-5 stars.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Awesome write-up. Getting ready to do mine also with a kit from No Limit also. One question I have is, Do I program the vehicle first, and then lose all the parts? Or lose the parts and then program?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The guys at No Limit and/or Tyrant Tuning (via the chat in Auto Agent) would know for sure, but I'd load the tune first and then remove the parts. The tune deactivates the EGR via the computer, so the bypass isn't 100% needed. I chose to bypass since the EGR is already a known weak link.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Thank you so much for the writeup. I have been reading about this since 9am and I was leaning toward the EZ Lynk but wasn't sure. This makes it clear.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you for your detailed and informative review. My exhaustive research is also closing in on EZ Link. My problem is deciding on a tune package with emissions on.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Thank you for your detailed and informative review. My exhaustive research is also closing in on EZ Link. My problem is deciding on a tune package with emissions on.
I am with you. I want to delete but trying to at least get a tune first. 5-Star seems to be good as well as Gearhead and Tyrant.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks Bigtallcampbell for your advise. Called No Limit and you were right, need to install my SOTF switch first and then add the tunes before dropping the parts.
I plan on doing my 2015 6.7 this weekend with a full delet---. I went with No Limit also, SCT+4 w/SOTF, Tyrant Tunes and their full delet--kit with pass throught.
Soaked all my bolts in the engine compartment with KROIL and let them sit overnight, tightened and cracked them all loose and sprayed with more KROIL and they were all were very loose this morning, even the dreaded exhaust manifold bolts. i'll keep you posted....

·
Registered
19 Posts
I went with EZ Lynk on my 2015 with Tyrant tunes. I bought all the delete parts and the EZL box together. I talked to Cale (Tyrant) before I deleted the truck and let him know it would be a few months before I actually did the delete and he sent me a couple emissions on tunes to run in the mean time (and they were BAD ***!!!)

After I got it deleted all of the delete tunes are in the app, just pick one, install it and get after it.

Can't go wrong with EZ Lynk, and Tyrant tunes!

·
"RLTW" Tennessee
989 Posts
You can add a password to the wifi connection in auto agent

·
Registered
15 Posts
Did the full delete on my 2015 and couldn't be happier. Biggest PITA was removing the heater hose connections on the firewall which is required on a full delete on the 15's being the hose is replaced with the supplied hose from NoLimit.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just bought 2015 F350 dually.HWY empty was 17mpg. Did 600 me in traffic mpg went down to 11mpg. In the middle of 2500 mile to got 7.3 mpg towing tandum total tow 14000lbs. Stared using PM22 on way back getting 8.6mpg. I’ve read of other owners getting twice that towing heavier loads. Looking for technical concerns of why such poor mpg. No codes system checks fine. All stock except S&B air intake, no performance issues pulls like a freight train. Did use a considerable DEF fluid on trip out. Any advise would be appreciated

·
Premium Member
10,597 Posts
I'd have to follow you in my truck to tell you what MPGs I get to make an honest attempt to help you.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I have a CTS Edge 2 that I like to use as my gauge. Can I hook up and install tunes with the EZ Link, then unplug it so I can plug my CTS2 back in? Will the SOTF switch still work if the EZ Link is not plugged in??
thanks

1 - 15 of 15 Posts