Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need help folks. Truck died on me as I was coming to a stop sign. Would not refire. Turned over like it was out of fuel. Checked my fuel filter/bowl. Plenty of fuel, drained the fuel bowl, turn key on, bowl filled right up. I thought I had a CPS go out on me. Got the truck home, replaced CPS with new style (gray), still no fire. I purchased a Actron code reader from Autozone hoping to get more info. It didn't show any codes. Does anybody out there know of an affordable code scanner that doesn't cost an arm and a leg? Any body have any experience with an AutoEnginuity OBDII USB scanner. I know Scott can point me in the right direction if I can give him some good info.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
did you check your fuses??

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I hear the auto enginuety is a good scanner for the powerstrokes if you buy the correct software. It would be good to know the icp and ipr values to help ya out.

·
Premium Member
18,040 Posts
See if you are getting a Wait to start light. if not, that means no power is getting to your PCM. I would start by looking at fuses. There is a 30 amp fuse that is probably blown if you find a blown one. in that case, unplug the fuel bowl heater behind the fuel bowl. its a white plug towards the middle of the back side of the fuel bowl. replace that fuse, and it should start.

If you are getting a wait to start light, but not starting, check to see if your oil resivior on the front of the engine is full of oil. Its in front of the bowl. That supplys your injectors with oil. If you are not getting oil there, then its something to do with your low pressure engine oil pump. not likely this problem though.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the quick reply sldghamr. The only fuse that showed any signs of failure was the 15amp fuse in the #8 spot in the power dist. box. It controls the trailer tow elec. brake, park lamps. It appeared overheated but not blown.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thats what I'm hoping to do WEWILLE. Thanks for the quick reply!
I am getting a wait to start light xsracinggt, and I am showing oil pressure while cranking. Thanks for the reply as well.

·
Registered
26 Posts
You can get AutoEnginuity from Dennis at ITP Diesel (site sponsor)...when I bought mine he had the best price around. Make sure to get the enhanced Ford version at a minimum.

You'll be amazed at how much data you can view! I've used mine quite a bit to figure out problems and to learn more about how the truck is working. Live graphs definitely beat my handheld scantool (AutoXray 6000) and I can recover more than just "P" codes on the 6.0...not sure about the 7.3 though.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info rfcrace! I will check ITP Diesel for pricing. Without something like this, I can't narrow my problem down to IDM, IPR, HPOP etc.:dunno:

·
Premium Member
3,578 Posts
I don’t have any idea what that scanner cost but I know you can get a predator programmer for around $250 on ebay and it has awesome diagnostics, live sensor data, plus it can either remember data to be later displayed on a computer or hooked straight to a laptop to display data. They have free downloads from their website too. Not to mention the programs are very powerful. My buddy runs his on the 100 hp setting and can out run me with my flip chip.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks alabamafrog, I'll look into that. I've been wanting to put a programmer on my truck for some time now. Hoping to get a little more power and mpg.

·
Premium Member
3,578 Posts
The predator will be about $250 and you get a great programmer as well as a diagnostic tool.
Before installing the programs you will need gauges that will be about another $300. Of course DIY intake and straight pipe the exhaust for about $100 more. and she'll be a very happy truck.
But by then you'll get the mod addiction and it will never stop.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How hard is it to remove the IPR? Do I need any special tools?:dunno:

·
Premium Member
3,578 Posts
How hard is it to remove the IPR? Do I need any special tools?:dunno:
Deep well socket, seems like it was 1 1/8” or something like that.
Al you gotta do is unplug the wires, take off the tin nut and solenoid and use the deep socket to screw out the IPR.

Where did you buy your Predator? Which model?
Thanks
Over the years I bought two of them, both from eBay, one was around $230, the other $220 or so. It is the Diablo Sport Predator, kinda blue green color transparent case. One came with like only 2 tunes on it. I went to their website and downloaded the latest and greatest tunes, seems like there were 4 of them then, something like an economy, extreme off road, towing, high altitude. I had to go to radio shack and get a cable to hook the predator to my computer to upgrade it and download and upload from it to my home computer or laptop. All of the instructions and parts lists are on their website.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the reply Ford Parts Guy, will check wiring. Has fresh oil and filter.:icon_ford:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts