Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2006 6.0 Powerstroke

I replaced the turbo, ( the bearing was shot, no boost whatsoever. the truck was running before i worked on it.)

After fininshing the install of a remanufactured turbo, the truck will crank with no attempt to run.
(the batteries were left disconnected for a few days during the turbo install)

Codes
P1000 ODDTCs On-Board Diagnostic (OBD) Systems Readiness Test Not Complete
U0105 ODDTCs Lost Communication With FICM
U0306 ODDTCs Software Incompatibility With FICM

I called a ford trained mechanic to look at it and he said it needs a new FICM.

I'm not 100% confident its just a bad FICM, bcz there seems to be an electrical short... the batteries slowly drain and there is a small spark when you connect cables to the battery terminals. (in particular the smaller positive cable on drivers side battery has a spark)

The truck started fine before i changed out the turbo. I have owned it for 4 months, generally it ran good until the turbo failed. It did have some 'gremlins' such as tbc fault, the tach and speedometer sometimes would read low or go to zero while driving, A/C does not work..)

Obviously it must be related to the FICM that it wont start, but what caused it to fail
I dont want to replace the FICM, and just have it burn out again.
or maybe its fine and not getting power?

How can i diagnose this problem?

Thx

· Master Tech
994 Posts
Check to see if all three FICM connectors are fully seated. If you have any issues you might want to remove the module and inspect to bent pins in the connections... it happens.

· Premium Member
5,161 Posts
Check that your small alternator cable going from the passenger + battery cable to the back of the alternator isn't grounding/shorting to something. That's all RIGHT there where you'd be when you're pulling out the turbo. If that all checks out, you're gonna need a scanner or some sort of program to check PID's. The following need to be looked at:

FICM MPower
FICM LPower
FICM VPower
FICM Sync
Cam/Crank Sync (aka Sync)
Fuel Pulse Width (aka Injector Pulse Width)
RPM
ICP
ICP Desired
ICP Voltage
IPR%

-jokester

Reactions: bismic

· Compression Ignition Addict
12,087 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It was the front connector to the FICM.

Must've gotten pushed off when i installed the intake boots, since the cables pass right under there. When i unbolted the FICM the front connector dropped right off.

after pressing it back on, it made all the noises its supposed to and fired right up.

however, my turbo is not working. I'll look at it tomorrow. i may not have connected the exhaust correctly? or i bought a bad rebuilt turbo?

Thanks for the comments

· Compression Ignition Addict
12,087 Posts
That front FICM connector probably isn't causing the power drain or the A/C to shut off (or the Tach/Speedometer issues).

Tell us more on the turbo. What do you mean "it's not working"?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts