Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys, I am just curious as to why sometimes when it's time to start slowing down, and I let off the pedal, the engine goes quiet for a second or two. Then, you hear the "diesel" sound again, just before stopping. I just installed a new cam sensor (IHC#1876736C91), which from the research I did, was supposed to be the best one. And, the results after installing it are great, it sounds a little more quiet, it idles a bit smoother-no more slight romping. And, of course it does'nt stall any more, which was the main reason I changed it. But, I kind of notice that it does that "no sound" thing during decel a little more. Don't get me wrong, the truck is running great, just wondering why it does that. Thanks

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
lulz thats the injector pump shutting down and the fuel-injectors not firing and saving fuel :thumb: It's also a built-in engine decelerator; when you let off the throttle the truck automatically utilizes the motor/trans to slow down.

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
That's perfectly normal. I've had mine go silent for minutes a time when I'm descending dirt roads in the mountains and lose a lot if altitude in a few miles.

Sent from my DROID X2 using AutoGuide App

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's awesome! Just a little curious, I thought the 94-97 trucks did'nt have injector pumps.

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
Well they have HEUI injection... the 'injection system' shuts down, how about that :p

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, I read up on the HEUI injection system. Cool stuff, you got oil and fuel going into different chambers of the injector. Anyway, I guess that is the couple of seconds you get to feel like your in one of those new electric cars that don't make sound. We'd better watch out or they are gonna force us to add a fake sound, like they are trying to do with the electric cars. hehe

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
HEU injection is extremely interesting stuff. Caterpillar actually designed it. It's not the best system for crazy power, but it's extremely reliable.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
HEU injection is extremely interesting stuff. Caterpillar actually designed it. It's not the best system for crazy power, but it's extremely reliable.
heck yea it is!
I like the fact that you cant run out motor out of oil and seize it up because it will stop firing injectors long before that happens

·
Beach Bum
2014 F250 CCSB 4wd
26,655 Posts
lulz thats the injector pump shutting down and the fuel-injectors not firing and saving fuel :thumb: It's also a built-in engine decelerator; when you let off the throttle the truck automatically utilizes the motor/trans to slow down.
Theres no injector pump in a powerstroke......

·
Banned
5,630 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2000 F-250 7.3 that goes quiet when letting off the pedal? Touch pedal or even brake sometimes and it comes back? And has only recently started doing this? Help

·
Beach Bum
2014 F250 CCSB 4wd
26,655 Posts
I have a 2000 F-250 7.3 that goes quiet when letting off the pedal? Touch pedal or even brake sometimes and it comes back? And has only recently started doing this? Help
It's normal. The injectors shut off for a
Brief moment since the trans is still spinning the engine fast enough on te coasting.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts