Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking for help...

replaced oil cooler and stc fitting last week. drove the truck a lot... including a 400 mile trip pulling a 14,000# camper. no problems.

truck sat for a week. went to start it today and I've got nothing. Lights turn on, dash lights up... things seem to be cycling when i turn it to the 'on' position -- but when i got to crank i get nothing but a faint click. batteries are at 12.5v. all fuses look good.

any idea?:dunno:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
update:

tried jumping the starter by touching the yellow/green wire to the battery and all i get is a click. also tried smacking the starter a few times with a hammer

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Check the pancake solenoid on the passenger fender. Also try turning the motor over by hand with a breaker bar the bendix may be stuck in the flywheel, smaking the starter doesn't allways free it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Check the pancake solenoid on the passenger fender. Also try turning the motor over by hand with a breaker bar the bendix may be stuck in the flywheel, smaking the starter doesn't allways free it.
thanks for the thoughts dannyboy --- what should i be looking at for the pancake solenoid? if it has power?

is the camshaft easy to get to if i were to try and turn it over by hand?

thanks again.. since i'm getting nothing when i try to power the starter straight from the battery i'm thinking it has to be one of these things right?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
any thoughts? sorry but I'm a bit at a loss -- I don't want to drop the $200 on a new starter if that isn't the problem

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Sorry since you knew the tap the starter trick, you would know the turn the crank trick.

From under the truck feal the inside the bottom pulley(harmonic balancer) for the 3 bolts find a socket that fits and put a ratchet or breaker bar on one of them preferably towards the top and try to roll the engine around at least a 1/2 turn ineither direction should do it, you can also try tapping while you turn. Just do not get crazey with the hammer.

The pancake solenoid will have 2 big studs with big wires and 1 small one.
Batt voltage will be on one side none on the other.
When you turn on the key to crank the small wire should get 12v and the other side should get voltage that then goes to the starter.

I just reread your post if you applied bat volts to the starter with that wire you bypassed all that and the starter should have rolled over. So your either bound up in the flywheel or your starter is dead/frozeup.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks... i'll give it a shot tomorrow and see what happens. was supposed to head out on a trip this weekend... that ain't happening

·
Winning DUHHH
2,389 Posts
Try putting the shifter to neutral

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
explain this one...

ok see if anyone has an idea what happened...

i had tried putting it neutral yesterday, still no crank.

went out this morning and checked the battery terminals. they were sparkling clean. the batteries are only about a year old. still no crank. so i decided I'd rather crawl under it on the driveway (was currently parked on the grass). Turned the key to on, put the truck in neutral and tried to rock her back and forth to get her moving.... well the ground is pretty soft this morning so even with help it wasn't going anywhere.

got back in the truck, turned the key for sh*ts and giggles and she fires up. WTF!?

any thoughts greatly appreciated... its one thing to have her not start in my driveway.... don't want to end up stranded somewhere

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
*UPDATE* - just in case this helps anyone down the road...

the truck ran for a couple weeks as is until a few nights ago the same problem creeped up --- no crank, no start...just a click.

Ended up figuring it had to be the starter.... replaced it and has been fine since. Not a bad replace job -- only PITA is the third bolt that is hidden. Got her down in about an hour

1 - 13 of 13 Posts